Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

~30mpg max. Might be better with the 32/36 Weber, but I wont be finding that out for awhile :P

FYI, videos coming shortly :)

(Although the video of it driving was runied :mad: ill re-shoot it tommorow)

I would think you would be getting better than 30mpg. My EA81 gets about that. It got that with a hitachi and now with a weber and your car has a smaller engine and lighter body.

What part of the battery-acid-covered, completely erroded vinyl/foam, totally broken frame, missing/rusted/broken springs, non-functional-recliner/adjustment, did you miss?

(clipped picture)

I saved the rails, NOTHING else was salvageable from the passanger seat... I should toss the right rail too, the battery acid rusted it far past the point of no-return. I kept the recliner adjuster... i'm them it "just in case" as you mention.

But I dont plan on keeping the seat bolts in the same location on the floorboard. Right now they are in "divits" in the floorboard, four of which have turned into rust-infested holes, mostly due to being a low point in the floorboard that collects water. Very bad design...

Damn, I thought the seats in my Polara were bad! I'd try to find some EA71 or EA81 seats, as EA82 or later seats MIGHT be too wide, although since you have no center console or center hump to worry about, it shouldn't matter too much if seats are too wide, just have to sit them closer together.

Damn, I thought the seats in my Polara were bad! I'd try to find some EA71 or EA81 seats, as EA82 or later seats MIGHT be too wide, although since you have no center console or center hump to worry about, it shouldn't matter too much if seats are too wide, just have to sit them closer together.
Did you check out the seats on this website: http://www.classiccarseats.com/

They are just about perfect for the FF-1. They were designed to be replicas of 60's and 70's performance seats, and they fit great in smaller cars like mini's, 510's, 914's, etc. and will work perfect in the FF-1!

Although, depending on how much I have to spend on body work, spending $1200 on seats might be too much... (Although, IMO, seats are the most important modification for ANY car, as a good seat can make any car feel 10x better as I found out after getting some JDM WRX seats for my '95 Impreza)

Oh, and slight update from this weekend...

No pictures though :(

I removed the front fenders (took some effort, and snapped a couple rusted bolts :( ) and spent several hours grinding off surface rust from the outside of the car and painting on some rust inhibitor paint. Took 4-5 hours and a lot of painful work, and now the car looks rather patchworky.

Next weekend I plan on either removing the dash and wiring, or start removing the engine components. I ran the car ALL day today, so the gas level should be low enough that when I get to the point where I can remove the gas tank, it wont be too hard to drain.

Awesome Steve! If you need the wiring harness rebuilt, let me know. I've done a couple for gen 1's already and the FF1 shouldn't be too much different.

Oooh, ya I do want to rebuild the wiring harness. Although im not sure whats staying and whats going yet, and a few things might be added in (gauges and such).

I definatly want to move the fuse box inside the car for one, and i'm ditching the radio for sure.

Oooh, ya I do want to rebuild the wiring harness. Although im not sure whats staying and whats going yet, and a few things might be added in (gauges and such).

I definatly want to move the fuse box inside the car for one, and i'm ditching the radio for sure.

well if you have a scanner and can scan the wiring diagrams of it to me, I'll take a look and we can probably work something out:banana:

NICE!!!!! Steve. :clap: Remember you promised a trip up to Lake Almanor to show me the finished project. BTW have you come up with a replacement for the driver side door glass yet, I realy feel bad about that little misshap. I'm down in Arizona for the winter now and won't be back to No. Cal. until spring, will be staying tuned to this thread and your progress.

Darrell.

NICE!!!!! Steve. :clap: Remember you promised a trip up to Lake Almanor to show me the finished project. BTW have you come up with a replacement for the driver side door glass yet, I realy feel bad about that little misshap. I'm down in Arizona for the winter now and won't be back to No. Cal. until spring, will be staying tuned to this thread and your progress.

Darrell.

No replacement yet for the glass, but thats really the least of my concerns at this point...

I definatly plan on heading several places when this is finished, including Almanor ;)

Does anyone know the legality of removing an Odometer from a car like this? I have it currently registered as a non-accurate Odometer (actually the Junkyard did that, but its true since I dont know if this car has 80k miles, 180k miles, 280k miles, or more...) but I dont know what law says about not even having an odometer at all...

Day 10:

Ive been having issues with dealing with the body rust, so excuse the funky looking drawing on the car and paint splotches...

Anyway, after spending two weekends in a row grinding and painting, I decided to do interior work today instead.

I removed the dash as you can see, along with the inner door panels and started removing much of the wiring harness. From this point on, the car won't be driveable, so I turned it around so I can get an engine lift in there when the time comes.

I also have all the trim off now, along with the fenders...

The good news: After removing the rotted foam and vinyl from the dash, it turns out to have a pretty decent piece of metal in there. I've decided to use that dash setup and build around it, I may keep the original gauge cluster as well unless I can find a better one. I will add a tach and a few other things though.

The bad news: This rust is a pain in the rump roast :( I will need to get it to the sand blaster as soon as possible and get it in the garage out of the weather...

Here are the pics from today:

ff1day10outside1.jpg

ff1day10nofender.jpg

ff1day10inside1.jpg

ff1day10ventsetup.jpg

ff1day10wiringharness.jpg

ff1day10innerdoor.jpg

Scroll through this listing from yahoo japan, disregard the alloy wheels, there is a sports dash as well as a steering wheel.

http://www.mailorderjapan.com/yahoo-auction-japan/catmainframe.php?caturl=http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/26360-category.html?alocale=0jp

Hope it comes through, and you can read japanese.

Thierry

Type in ff-1 were the blank is and mark catorgary as automobile, motorcycle

Scroll through this listing from yahoo japan, disregard the alloy wheels, there is a sports dash as well as a steering wheel.

http://www.mailorderjapan.com/yahoo-auction-japan/catmainframe.php?caturl=http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/26360-category.html?alocale=0jp

Hope it comes through, and you can read japanese.

Thierry

Type in ff-1 were the blank is and mark catorgary as automobile, motorcycle

What bushings are these???

I could REALLY use them if they are what I think they are...

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f53992206

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/97929185