Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Day 11:

Been a little while since my last update, expect less frequent updates during the winter...

Anyway, I got the wiring harness completely removed from the car now. I also removed the radiators and the support, and started working on prep to remove the engine/transmission.

I also picked up a couple parts I plan on using for the engine and have some comparison photos here for you... One item I got was the 32/36 Weber Carburetor I just got from Jibs, and also an intake manifold from an EA63 (courtesy fisnindiot) which fits the same as the current intake manifold but with more flow (both air AND coolant flow) and is capable of running the Weber carburetor due to the bolt pattern (which is smaller on the EA61 intake manifold as I found out).

Enough talk, here are the photos:

ff1day11frontend.jpg

ff1day11enginebay.jpg

ff1day11engine.jpg

ff1day11exhaustport.jpg

ff1day11intakes.jpg

ff1day11intakecomparo1.jpg

f11day11hitachivsweber1.jpg

ff1day11hitachvsweber2.jpg

Well I went to remove the engine from the car today (but not the transmission, still has the brake lines/e-brake/axles/etc. connected) and it turns out the bottom engine-transmission bolts are blocked by the inboard brakes :( I'll have to remove it as one unit, or figure out a way to move the engine enough to unbolt it...

What if you unbolt the engine crossmember from the car and the suspension that bolts to the unibody and drop out the engine/tranny/suspension as one unit and strip it down outside the car? Just a thought...

Thats a possibility, but i'd also have to unbolt the steering column and still unbolt the brake lines/e-brake, etc.

Kosta, in my tool box i have a special tool to undo the bottom 2 nuts on the trany/ engine, basically just a 17mm ring open spanner heated and bent into a z shape to clear, can still use the spanner on other jobs even if it is bent. but before i made the tool i used to jack the engine up enough with the trany to access the nuts.

Thierry