Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Wow.

Long story short. I have four Keystone wheels that were made in the 60's.One got ruined many years ago. For years I haven't been able to find another anywhere. I've searched high and low. Three wheels. Not much use except for two on the front and two different ones on the back, something like that.

If it's available, consider buying a fifth one. Just in case.

Doug

Edited by Quidam
Spelling.

Nice wheels, perfect for the car. I've never seen that particular style before, with the extra thin ribs on the outside like that.

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ultimatetarga/12623985.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dultimatetarga%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG&usg=ALkJrhhT12aTkkdOd7pT1f8KxCsrcrPKOg

I've actually seen them before, on that car to be specific.

Cool, I think I have seen that car before also now that I think of it, maybe in this thread? I just never noticed the wheels. They will look even better on your car with the raised rear wheelwells. The look kind funky on there with it that low and the stock wheelwell openings. Are you keeping them silver?

Thats what custom rare wheels bring. why i like oem wheels....but dang those some nice wheels.

Wow.

Long story short. I have four Keystone wheels that were made in the 60's.One got ruined many years ago. For years I haven't been able to find another anywhere. I've searched high and low. Three wheels. Not much use except for two on the front and two different ones on the back, something like that.

If it's available, consider buying a fifth one. Just in case.

Doug

Couple things...

Folks with experiences mounting Fuel pumps and MSD ignitions... What are the recommended mounting locations for these, especially fuel pumps? I was going to put the carter fuel pump i'm getting in about the same area as the factory pump, but the MSD ignition has a perfect spot there to mount it. What are the requirements for where I have to mount a fuel pump?

And seriously, if anyone wants to make some extra money on the side, I really think the car could use some seam welding in a few locations...

The fuel pump should be lower than the tank if you can. They push fuel better than pull it. That would probably be on the rear framerail somewhere. You want a gravity feed to the pump if you can. For the MSD box I like to put them under the dash. You can put it under the hood if you have to, they are weather proof, but it will run cooler under the dash.

The fuel pump should be lower than the tank if you can. They push fuel better than pull it. That would probably be on the rear framerail somewhere. You want a gravity feed to the pump if you can. For the MSD box I like to put them under the dash. You can put it under the hood if you have to, they are weather proof, but it will run cooler under the dash.

Lower than the tank??? I'm not sure thats possible on this chassis... And the stock one was up under the spare tire, similar to the other 70's Subaru's. I'm confused now :(

I have space to put the MSD either under the dash or under the hood. Under the hood it would be right near the coilpack and battery, making the wiring shorter, not sure if that matters much.

Lower than the tank??? I'm not sure thats possible on this chassis... And the stock one was up under the spare tire, similar to the other 70's Subaru's. I'm confused now :(

I have space to put the MSD either under the dash or under the hood. Under the hood it would be right near the coilpack and battery, making the wiring shorter, not sure if that matters much.

The aftermarket fuel pumps like to be lower than the fuel level for best performance. But it would work mounted under the hood if that is where you decide to put it.

It is ok to run a few feet of wire to the MSD box, all the ones I've had actually came with a few feet attached. But it also will work fine under the hood if that's where you put it. I like putting them under the dash so they don't get heated up by the engine and it looks cleaner under the hood.

The aftermarket fuel pumps like to be lower than the fuel level for best performance. But it would work mounted under the hood if that is where you decide to put it.

It is ok to run a few feet of wire to the MSD box, all the ones I've had actually came with a few feet attached. But it also will work fine under the hood if that's where you put it. I like putting them under the dash so they don't get heated up by the engine and it looks cleaner under the hood.

Alright, i'm going to keep fiddling around to see where I can fit the MSD and fuel pump. I still need to purchase the fuel pump though, then i'll have a better idea of what I have to work with. I think the MSD will fight fine under the dash OR under the hood, but i'm not 100% sure yet until I fit the dash back on...

Been working on the car all day, and even test fit the wheels.

There is a slight problem with the offset...

enkeifit2a.jpg

As you can see, it BARELY clears the suspension, has about 1mm of clearance, but thats NOT including the tire which will be wider.

So, I need spacers! I don't know how big yet until I get tires, and ill probably need longer studs too :unamused:

I figured I might need spacers with these wheels since they have the stock offset of +55, but I probably won't need spacers for the fronts which is good, and they will probably clear the fender good on the front.

Couple more pics:

enkeifit4.jpg

enkeifit3.jpg

enkeifit1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My thoughts: Steve may be in a quandry. If he spaces the wheel/tire combo out to clear suspension, it will stick out the fender. I'm not there so I don't know for sure.

I like to have one inch clearance in back and he may need that much, mabie a little less.

JMO

Doug

Fender clearance isn't an issue with the tire size ill be using. Its all about suspension clearance...

Right now, due to the complications with wheel studs and spacers, i'm about to give up on these wheels and go back to my original plan of having custom steel wheels made.

Other than that, i've had to go out and buy a space heater to heat the garage so I can work :grin: and i've been spending most of my spare time lately dealing with holiday stuff so I haven't been working on the car too much.

I did manage to order a bunch of OEM nuts/bolts for re-assembling the front and rear suspension, along with the steering rack couplings which I was AMAZED they were still availible! I'm also mocking up the dash and other interior components to make sure i've got all the holes correct and such.

I'm still not sure what i'm going to do about paint/bodywork... Its too cold to do bondo work, and its expensive to have someone else do it. So i'm basically on hold with that until I save up more money or until it warms up.

Also, I don't currently have an engine :( The single port engine I have won't work as I've mentioned before, and so far every attempt to find a 4-port EA63 has failed... My single port EA63 is up for sale if anyone is interested.

If it comes down to your not finding one at all I'll help you out with whatever I can. I think I have two new heads....I know I have at least one good engine that you'd be able to drop in but at this point you'd be smarter to break down and inspect.

I do have a new 1400 4-port but as you know I also have a '74 DL 4door that I went thru a lot of trouble to get here so for now I've got save that new block for that car.....but,me being sympathetic toward this ff-1 you might talk me into some sort of deal.

Dang that Dennis didn't have that engine. But maybe that guy Dave Powers in SoCal still has his. I'll dig thru my contacts here and try to find his number. There'll be a couple more ATK rebuilds out there,I'm sure. Finding an SOA crate engine will be just about impossible.

And,I do have some shims new and used for the cylinder liners.

Thought of the moment:

Can you take the stock wheels to someone and see if they can somehow cut and rebuild them? I know nothing about doing such so pardon me if I'm way off base. Or at least then they can copy the proper offset onto a more suitable design.

Dang that Dennis didn't have that engine. But maybe that guy Dave Powers in SoCal still has his. I'll dig thru my contacts here and try to find his number. There'll be a couple more ATK rebuilds out there,I'm sure. Finding an SOA crate engine will be just about impossible.

And,I do have some shims new and used for the cylinder liners.

Thought of the moment:

Can you take the stock wheels to someone and see if they can somehow cut and rebuild them? I know nothing about doing such so pardon me if I'm way off base. Or at least then they can copy the proper offset onto a more suitable design.

If I can't get any EA63 heads, I can rebuild the EA61... But I was trying to avoid rebuilding the wet-sleeved block, so I could use the EA63 4-port heads with a used EA71 shortblock that I could rebuild easily (a couple guys at work want to help rebuild it).

Are those shims the copper ships for the wet sleeves, or something else?

Ya, actually about the wheels you are correct, thats how Stockton wheel makes custom steel wheels... They cut out the inside of a used wheel and mat it up to a blank wheel size (like a 14"x6" blank) and weld it to whatever offset you need. And then powder coat it of course :P

Yes those shims are for the wet liner sleeves. Gotcha now,I must have blipped out on the use of the EA71 .... but that's the way to go for reliabilitly.

My friend has 1400 heads off an engine and probably a set off too. But he's had some serious medical issues arise and I haven't heard from him since Monday. :-\ Annoying New England ice/snow show right now. Give me a few more days now before I can get moving on anything.

Did some more "mock up" today to figure out if I needed any more bolt/screw holes and such, and to figure out what exactly I need to do for interior panels. I thought maybe I might be able to re-use some of the press-board pieces, but it looks like thats not a possibility. I can use them as a template though.

The rear panel actually needs to be wider and also shorter so it fits its space better. I don't plan on running a rear seat, so i'll need to cover some areas there that aren't currently covered. I'll also have to extend the rear under-window area a bit to cover some of those holes. I'll probably make that out of cardboard next weekend if i'm not busy.

As you can see, i'm trying to figure out what I want to do about gauges. Since I wanted to run a tach and oil temp/water temp gauge, I figure I might as well do a whole custom dash... I went over which items I'll need to operate the heater/vents, but I figure I can trim off a bit of that lower dash piece since I won't be running a stereo. I can also put some power-plug sockets in the holes on the dash on either side (I have some extra ones from a forester dual-plug kit).

I'm not sure what to do about turn signal bulbs... I havent found anywhere that sells them yet. Other than that, I have a good idea of what size gauges I want to run now. I plan on doing a mechanical speedo, 8000rpm tach, oil temp gauge, water temp gauge, voltmeter and fuel gauge. I'm not sure which fuel gauge to get, I need to figure out what the sensor range is for the stock fuel level sensor. I'm also not 100% sure about mechanical speedos and using the stock speedo wire, so I need to look into that.

But ya, I do plan on keeping the dash like that, except powder coat it black... Maybe do a red vinyl stripe to cover up the holes above where the gauges will go. The "wood-look" surface is completely non-usable, and ugly anyway :P

Oh, and I still havent decided on a spot to mount the MSD ignition... But there are several options I can see now.

Here are the pics from today:

ff1mockup3.jpg

ff1mockup4.jpg

ff1mockup2.jpg

ff1mockup6.jpg

ff1mockup7.jpg

ff1mockup5.jpg

ff1mockup8.jpg

ff1mockup1.jpg

So is anyone interested in the Enkeis or the 13"s with tires that I was using for transporting the car? (the owner of them doesnt want those wheels/tires back, cause he has no where to put them :( )

The Enkei's i'd have to sell for $300, and the 13's with tires i'm just giving away to anyone who wants to pick them up.

I'm interested in those JDM wheels. Next year tho, K? "That means I need to scrape up the cash in the next few days".

Doug

Edit: Hey Steve,

It's not the time for me to buy these. I'm out. Thanks anyway.

Sincerely,

Doug

Edited by Quidam
Update post.