Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Tires installed and on the car!

I'll roll it out the garage this weekend and take GOOD photos... But I know what length of shocks I need now (its bottomed out right now, which means I need SHORTER shocks)

toyotestfit7.jpg

toyotestfit2.jpg

toyotestfit1.jpg

toyotestfit6.jpg

toyotestfit4.jpg

toyotestfit3.jpg

Plenty of rear clearance now!

toyotestfit5.jpg

Bad news...

The FRONTS need spacers :( They don't clear the center of the hubs... I saw a pic on that JDM blog that had spacers in the front and I wondered why, now I know...

Found some NOS ff-1 stuff yesterday. I know you've bought some items already but I have new corner light lenses and at least one new rear turn signal/brake light comp. assy.. A few other little items that I didn't take note of too. You still want that grill , right? As the weather lightens upon us I'll be getting stuff out to people.

So far you're the only one with a sedan ff-1 (that has contact) so I'll set aside whatever I can for you. Don't forget that we have 2 ff-1 wagons here and a third 1973 wagon also so I can't let all the goodies go.

Looking good. I like that black and white pic ... :) j/k

Ya, i'm still interested in the grill. Don't need front corner lights though, got the clear ones from Japan. I've got two brand new taillights too, but they are both one side (although I was going to flip the lenses around and still use them) but let me know what you do have and what you are able to get rid of!

Here you can see exactly how much room there is now. But REMEMBER, this is bottomed out, so when its riding at the normal height this means its low enough but it won't hit anything when it does bottom out:

lowered7.jpg

lowered5.jpg

I used a credit-card size card to see exactly how low parts of the car are at right now. Still plenty of ground clearance:

lowered6.jpg

lowered9.jpg

I'm 5'9", so you can see here exactly how small the car is:

lowered11.jpg

First post for this thread.

God this is so close to home. In 1970 I bought my FF1, a White 1969 2 door 1100cc sedan. Just like this one, only much, much younger. Had it for 3 years and put 87,000 miles on it. Still the best of all the Subarus I've had. Even better then my last, a Legacy AWD 2.2L GL wagon with air suspension. I should have kept it, you don't realise the treasure you have until it's gone. And I miss it.

I know where there are 3, a 2 door and a 4 door sedan and a 5 door wagon. I don't think the one owner wants to part with them though.

I hope this project fulfills your expectations completly. Best wishes.

Michael

Edited by FF1_69

First post for this thread.

God this is so close to home. In 1970 I bought my FF1, a White 1969 2 door 1100cc sedan. Just like this one, only much, much younger. Had it for 3 years and put 87,000 miles on it. Still the best of all the Subarus I've had. Even better then my last, a Legacy AWD 2.2L GL wagon with air suspension. I should have kept it, you don't realise the treasure you have until it's gone. And I miss it.

I know where there are 3, a 2 door and a 4 door sedan and a 5 door wagon. I don't think the one owner wants to part with them though.

I hope this project fulfills your expectations completly. Best wishes.

Michael

Aust = Australia I presume?

Lookin' Good.

Will this be coming up to the WCSS 11?

Would it be rude of me to ask what this restored beauty set you back when all done?

thanks

Maybe WCSS 12 :lol:

Right now, i've spent enough to buy a Yaris. When i'm done, I'll probably have spent enough to buy a new WRX.

+1, and the way you are going about the restoration, it should outlast any new car!

As long as all that new steel and the rest of the car is rust proofed it will last, but leave it bare inside those new sills and you'll have another rust bucket in under 2 years.

And it's easyest done when the car is just a shell, then you can get into all those cavities, nooks and crannies.

Michael