Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat with airbags, leather, power heated seats

bheinen74

Hi board. I am Brent and I am the guy who purchased that tan colored 85 Brat GL from Mike/Ivanna it was on here but I got it on Ebay.

I have almost finished up the install of some 04 Legacy Outback limited leather tan seats, that are heated, with power driver control, and side airbags- side note airbags will be inactive.... I have used the FACTORY Brat floor mounts. I have not had to drill any new holes into the pristine floorboard at all and both seats are mounted good as new. I left the Brat Seatbelts mounted to the floor as well, factory. AND I used the Outbacks slider rails all 4, by adapting them some.

-bent slightly more the front inner mounts of the Outback seat, they line up.

-made offset spacer brackets for the front outer mounts of the outback seat

-crafted adapter brackets to use the rear outer mounts to fit the Outback posts.

-cut off the back inner factory Outback mount posts, made new L shaped brackets for them, welded to the outback sliders, that fit the brat floor mounts. Set aside the factory Brat seats which are still factory, well used......

Will be posting pics real soon. Have worked about 2 days on it straight and still have a little to do with the driver side sill plate (ran out of time) and the hookup of the heat switches (got late). I also am going to retrofit the Outbacks center armrest/cupholder to the Brat as well, and find the best spot to mount the 2 rocker switches for those heated seats.

Also, in the week and half I have had the brat:

rebuilt the Hitachi carb

fixed a corroded cooling fan connector

fixed a battery connector

new used wiper blades

interior clean

3 center caps from junkyard (still need one more)

heater knob and clock adjust knob from junkyard

etc..

Soon: Herculiner application, I already bought the 1 gallon kit.

wait for my POR-15 to arrive so I can get the underside protected.

whew

also, discovered the Switch for the 4WD lever with 2 wires is broke, and the switch is bad, tested it with voltmeter/ohmeter. What is this switch, looks like when its in 2wd, it pushed on the switch, but when it goes into 4wd it releases. Anybody know anything or have a good switch? I am in Iowa, there are NO junkyard gen2 era cars anywhere.

also what should i call it Bratback, Outbrat, BratLimited, or just Frankenbrat since i have 2 turbo legs to use in the future.. I actually want to keep this stock, but the seats were really worn bad and heated seats will be so Toasty nice.

Hi board. I am Brent and I am the guy who purchased that tan colored 85 Brat GL from Mike/Ivanna it was on here but I got it on Ebay.

I have almost finished up the install of some 04 Legacy Outback limited leather tan seats, that are heated, with power driver control, and side airbags- side note airbags will be inactive.... I have used the FACTORY Brat floor mounts. I have not had to drill any new holes into the pristine floorboard at all and both seats are mounted good as new. I left the Brat Seatbelts mounted to the floor as well, factory. AND I used the Outbacks slider rails all 4, by adapting them some.

-bent slightly more the front inner mounts of the Outback seat, they line up.

-made offset spacer brackets for the front outer mounts of the outback seat

-crafted adapter brackets to use the rear outer mounts to fit the Outback posts.

-cut off the back inner factory Outback mount posts, made new L shaped brackets for them, welded to the outback sliders, that fit the brat floor mounts. Set aside the factory Brat seats which are still factory, well used......

Will be posting pics real soon. Have worked about 2 days on it straight and still have a little to do with the driver side sill plate (ran out of time) and the hookup of the heat switches (got late). I also am going to retrofit the Outbacks center armrest/cupholder to the Brat as well, and find the best spot to mount the 2 rocker switches for those heated seats.

Also, in the week and half I have had the brat:

rebuilt the Hitachi carb

fixed a corroded cooling fan connector

fixed a battery connector

new used wiper blades

interior clean

3 center caps from junkyard (still need one more)

heater knob and clock adjust knob from junkyard

etc..

Soon: Herculiner application, I already bought the 1 gallon kit.

wait for my POR-15 to arrive so I can get the underside protected.

whew

also, discovered the Switch for the 4WD lever with 2 wires is broke, and the switch is bad, tested it with voltmeter/ohmeter. What is this switch, looks like when its in 2wd, it pushed on the switch, but when it goes into 4wd it releases. Anybody know anything or have a good switch? I am in Iowa, there are NO junkyard gen2 era cars anywhere.

also what should i call it Bratback, Outbrat, BratLimited, or just Frankenbrat since i have 2 turbo legs to use in the future.. I actually want to keep this stock, but the seats were really worn bad and heated seats will be so Toasty nice.

Outbrat sounds like it came out of the closet

Bratback i like.

DO you get the 4wd indicator illuminating on the dash? If not thats probably the switch for it.

nipper

• 1 year later...
Outbrat sounds like it came out of the closet

Bratback i like.

Bratback... Like the mountain? :D

Not that I can talk. My Outback seats are going in as I type, so I'm fair game as well...

And Brent, check your PMs!