Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Gear Ratio

SubaruJawn

Yes, I have to agree. If it ain't D/R or you don't want D/R then the EJ box is the way to go.

There is a guy here in Aus who spoke to me over email or PM or something that is getting a 4.11 or 4.44 (forgot which one) pinion gear put on a FT4WD 3.7 ratio pinion shaft... Should be interesting if it works out.

oh i cant put an ER27 on a legacy transmission?.

tarter sauce! i want my xt6 to move faster

a transmission with higher gear ratios is not going to make your six any faster.

you'll still have the same power, you're just trading top speed for acceleration.

the guys at FHI knew what they were doing when they gave these ratios to the corresponding cars, as long as you don't make any drastic changes (or need lower gears for offroad use) just stay with the stock ratios, not worth the hassle to change it all

3.9->4.111 change is pretty small, in all reality.

an RX FT4WD D/R basically allows you to switch from 3.70 -> 4.444 on the fly, and you really only notice that in the higher gears, where it just gives you short freeway legs.

+1

Rick once noticed that I was in Lo in my Rx and was surprised... It just doesn't even feel any different. I did an EJ engine swap and now it IS faster:banana:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I have to agree. If it ain't D/R or you don't want D/R then the EJ box is the way to go.

There is a guy here in Aus who spoke to me over email or PM or something that is getting a 4.11 or 4.44 (forgot which one) pinion gear put on a FT4WD 3.7 ratio pinion shaft... Should be interesting if it works out.

I was trying to have this same thing done on my XT6. I have the 4.44 gears for the front and the rear. Was talking to TomsSVX on the SVX board to do the hookup for me since I do not know how. I just need it installed. I a ready to go. I KNOW the car will be faster. Here's what I posted at the XT6 site.

*Added for personal reference*

Gear ratio torque

"What many car enthusiasts don't know, or simply overlook, is that you can get more performance out of the power you already have. Power (more accurately, torque) is never delivered directly from the flywheel to the pavement, without first being multiplied by gear ratios in the transmission and differential. The math is pretty simple: A car with a 4.0:1 gear ratio puts 33% more torque to the wheels than a car with a 3.0:1 gear ratio with no increase in engine torque. "My estimates using above 33%--->

3.70 to 4.11 = 16.5% more torque

3.70 to 4.44 = 23% more torque

I am going to keep a close eye on this thread. (Headed to the garage 1:57am in the morning to scavenge the 4.44 parts).

we'll just hijack subex's thread since he doesn't need it anymore!

you can't find a shop around there to do it?

you want 4.44 gears in an AWD automatic right?

are they going in your transmission with the modified valve body?

:lol: Gary! Me no hijacker...just over-excited that someone else was thinking of doing this. I would like to see him go through with it...or even you. ;)

Haven't tried looking for a shop again.

Big YES for 4.44 gears in AWD automatic.

Yes, going in tranny with modified valve body (or so the shop said anyways). What do you got cooking in your brain Gary? And why are you awake so late?

BTW: Just got back up from the basement scavenging for parts. Found these-->

XT6444-1.jpg

Is this all that is needed for a 4.44 swap? If so..Subex..at least you know what you need to do. :) I'm ready like...yesterday.

I provided the little calculation above to give Subex an idea on what he could expect with the swap/upgrade if he were to do it. Also Subex, I have read stories that it would help but am not sure. I would gladly be a guinea pig though. Just hate sitting around wondering how things would be. Life is short. Are you going to go ahead with the swap/upgrade? Don't give up that easy. These 'little' things add up.

subex won't be doing this (anytime soon at least), he was hoping there was an easy way to do it.

i've never touched a diff before so i wouldn't want to do it. i have a spare transmission and was thinking i could have it rebuilt with your gears (you ship me the gears). but that's pointless as you'll want to keep your valve bodies. the price woudln't be anything spectacular, but the shop is a highly respected trans shop in my home town (where you came to my place). i imagine you can find something in your area.

i may be pulling two of mine apart. i'm swapping transmissions in my XT6 and am thinking about putting an LSD in my front differential before i drop the transmission in. i haven't found any reliable LSD's i'm comfortable with but i'm almost positive EJ series front diffs interchange with the XT6 so im' still considering it. i may take an XT6 and EJ front diff apart to compare and have parts, but i'll have a shop install the LSD and make the final adjustments. if that's the case i'll definitely be finding a shop to work with and will let you know who i come up with and what the costs are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...