Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Probably an old question but yesterday I saw an Outback with real

deep- and coarse-treaded Winterforce tires and the owner told me they were quiet-running. In England we used to call them 'Town and Country' tires!

I can't find them pictured in Bridgestone catalogue what were they do you think?

And again what do you recommend for my Legacy Wagons 96 and 99 for Winter New York I hate skidding on-road on ice and snow but don't want studs?

Gil

Just a comment on size. Get a narrow sized tire to prevent the tires from riding up on top of the snow at speed. As I recall, my 97 OBW had 195 winter tires and they allowed me to drive in snow at speed with no white-knuckled experiences. My 02 OBW had much wider 225's and I can't get anywhere near the same speed levels. These wider tires seem to ride up on top of the snow, almost like water planing. I can't wait to wear them out and then go to as narrow a size as the wheel rim will allow.

Take a look at tirerack.com, everything you need to know about tires is there. I believe they sell the Winterforce tire there.

Also investigate Nokian tires, which are not for ordering on the web as far as I know. You'll need to find a local dealer.

For a non-studded, no compromise snow/ice tire, I recommend the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Downside is the soft rubber is squirrely on dry pavement and they wear quickly when the weather gets warm. We have them on the minivan, where my wife's stated requirement is "I don't want to slide, ever!".

Winterforce tires ARE at Tirerack. They are a directional tire, inexpensive, and are phenomenal in snow, slush, mud and just about anything I've thrown at them, BUT ICE. I did not stud them, my own choice, since I do mostly highway driving. But the reviewers who did gave them high marks on ice also.

But even unstudded, they were better than any all season I ever ran. I also have them mounted on a second set of rims I bought from the internet.

End of my reviews and experiences.

Tirerack is definitely the way to go. Spend the extra bucks to get your snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels.

Blizzaks are my favorite on my old legacy. Super performance on snow and ice and a blast for driving on frozen lakes. However, the tread life is really short if you have a snowless winter or procrastinate and leave them on after the spring thaw. The fronts wear out in a hurry so you have to be extra careful about rotating them.

The downside is that the blizzaks are noisy and reduce your handling performance (be careful in the wet...).

Got a set of Michelin Pilot Alpines here in Scotland. Put them on last year and run them in all seasons - sometimes it hard to tell winter from summer in Scotland:) . I have been impressed with them in the snow we had - mind you this is the first time I have had a vehicle with snow tyres all round.

Take a look at tirerack.com, everything you need to know about tires is there. I believe they sell the Winterforce tire there.

Also investigate Nokian tires, which are not for ordering on the web as far as I know. You'll need to find a local dealer.

For a non-studded, no compromise snow/ice tire, I recommend the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Downside is the soft rubber is squirrely on dry pavement and they wear quickly when the weather gets warm. We have them on the minivan, where my wife's stated requirement is "I don't want to slide, ever!".

Not true about the Nokians anymore: http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta%202.htm

I had Nokian Hakkapalliita 2 winter tires on my wife's '98 OB, and they were absolutely phenomenal. But then again, I would expect that kind of performance from a tire designed in a country that sees so much snow and test their tires in the Arctic Circle! :cool: