Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buggyroo and the Colorado 200

bigo1966

what class are they entering you in? do you have to have all the fresh air pumps and stuff also? well lets see how the roo does, watch the front struts, if they aren't strapped they'll seperate on some of that terrain at high speeds. or not, cause you don't have large tires...

Im entering in the "unlimited class". So im going against V8's and motorcycle powered mini rails. Safety stuff includes helmet, neck brace, 5 pt harness, wrist restraints, fire suit, rear facing amber light and some special venting system on the gas tank. Hopefully ill pass the tech inspection.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if you have had this thing out yet, but at high speeds the first thing to go will be the front strut tubes. The McPherson strut gas shock tube is weak and the bottom will bend outward like a bannana right where it enters the knuckle. You need to add two or three more gas shocks on each control arm to absorb the impact from high-speed off road. The front will dive too far otherwise - bending the strut tubes and causing too much load to the strut spring - which will in turn toss the front end up in the air - bouncing you all over the place. If hit too hard, you can bend the tube so badly it will jam the strut cartridge in the down posistion - leaving you with no suspension travel at all on that side!

I've actually done this to my lifted wagon, and I know others that have as well. It helps that you have lightened it somewhat, but at the speeds you are going to encounter I fear it will still be a problem.

And.... I hope that thing has a Weber?? Stock Hitachi isn't going to give enough punch.....

GD

• 4 months later...