Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission info, what will fit?

Ok I should know this but, there was this 82 or 83 wagon, not sure if it was a dl or gl or whatever, but it had a Manual in it and my bro in laws 86 GL wagon needs a new tranny.... So... he asked me because I know most of the old school, and he knows all the new school (and most of everything else about cars...) anyways, He wanted to know if it is the same transmission as our EA-82 series (is there a series for the EA-s? like the GCs or is it just EA?) I said im not sure...

I believe that all 5 speed manuals would fit, and yeah of course we know depending on what style 4 wheel drive it is.... So I was just wondering what years and types of transmissions will bolt on to what, now I know these are subarus so, almost everything will bolt on but, just for future reference.

GD I'm sure you would know this so help a brutha out :)

Also Which car has the 4 speed in it? is it the Justy??? Im not sure I seem to have missed this in old school subaru 101 :) thanks alot guys, and yeah, I did use the search.... found lots of EJ swap ideas but no dice on this...

to the best of MY knowledge, this "donor car" should be an EA81, and I thought that either the older gearboxes were far more problematic, or they didnt fit properly onto the EA82 engine... I may be wrong though. I also would doubt it is a five speed if its from an EA81, but these are just vague impressions, since I have never NEEDED to know any of this.

HTH, can anyone clarify this?

Double offset joint.. They are the CV like joints only that can move in and out. Turbo trans used 25spline on their gearbox and non-turbo plus all EA81's used 23splines. But the joint in the DOJ itself is the same and can be interchanged.

ontopic.

Sounds like the "donor car" is a EA81 like Daeron said. And a 86 wagon should be EA82. So its not a straight fit. The EA81 4sp is longer and you'd need the propshaft as well because of that. The shifter linkage is completely different. And the low/high range lever is different too. I wouldn't bother putting a 4sp into an EA82, its just too much work in my mind.

It would work. The only sticky parts would be:

1. The wireing (relativley easy unless the 86 is FI) - reverse lights, and 4WD indicators are backwards.

2. The linkage (also relatively easy - it's the reverse of the 5 speed EA81 swap). It can be made to look stock by shortening the 4WD lever by about 1" and mounting the back portion of the 5 speed's "linkage tray" where the pivot for the 4WD lever is located directlt to the underside (fabrication again, but not real difficult).

3. The transmission cross-member (have to fab something as it will be completely different - medium difficulty - you can look at my write up on using 5 speed mounts on my EA81 for ideas [not the same though] - http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/4speed_mounts.html).

4. Exhaust hanger bracket (little welding - not much problem - doesn't have to be pretty, so I'll say this is an "easy")

5. Clutch will have to be the EA82 flywheel resurfaced to the EA81 pressure plate step, EA81 pressure plate, and EA81 disc. OR you could use the EA82 pressure plate, EA81 disc, and fit a Nissan 720 truck release bearing to the EA81 bearing holder - so you have options.

6. Use the 4 speed single peice driveline.

GD

Yah thanks for the info guys, I just stumbled onto this thread trying to find some info to help me with my car...(Im the one looking to the trans). Basically looking for anything that will fit.. It really sucks that I just moved down to Arizona from Washington state. There are NO old subarus around Phoenix. I really want to get my car running, its finally cooled off enough to go explore Arizona.:headbang:

On another note If you do have a transmission drop me a pm.

Thanks

..I found a 2wd 1987 justy transmission for $50 bucks. I would imagine that these are a bolt in to my EA82 right? At least this would get my car on the road for now until I find another dual range transmission(or take mine apart and try to fix it.) :dead:

justy transmissions do not fit, it's a transverse engine and a completely different design

sorry, keep searching (check the ad's on the board here)

yeah merk knew that Im sure about it... Anyways, we got that car to his house (my car is finally faster than another car :lol: ) and we are working on getting it streetable, theres this wierd vibration that gets real real loud the faster thay you go, any ideas??? Oh and we did front brakes on the thing, and now it feels like it has air in the system, which there is a huge ammount of threads on here that have the same problem with the brakes that we are, so... any ideas on that too, we know how to bleed brakes, and are working on finding a way to pressure (not vacuum) bleed them because if that doesnt get the air out, I dont think anything will, bear in mind we did drain all the fluid out but we didnt pump it while it was out, the master has lotsa bubbles coming out in the resivour, and they never seem to stop, I had this same problem on my car and still kinda do.... anyways, thats my life story that I just wrote, and if you read all of that then, you have a lot of patience!!!