Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing a rear door window on 93 Legacy

So, I did something I shouldn't have done. Checked up on a 93 Legacy on Craigslist, and I'm going to take a look at it when the person calls me back.

It has a window broken out on the rear passenger's side. How hard is it to replace the window?

Also, for junkyarding purposes, what years of Legacy would have the same window, and is it sedans only?

The car in question: http://denver.craigslist.org/car/438293492.html

windows annoy me, i just swap doors. if the pull it yourself yards are as cheap as they are out here it's far easier and quicker to just swap doors. swapping doors is super easy - 4 bolts, one pin, an electric connector and you're done. just an idea in case you see a cheap door.

i realize you want to do it yourself but as a last resort window/glass shops don't charge much to install and they're super quick. got my rear OBS window replaced for $35. which means it's not hard to do either so that's probably the route you'll want to take.

I am thinking doors from a 90 thru 93 fit on a 93. To change just the glass, you will need to pull the inside door panel. It requires some prying with the blade of a pocket knife to release the plastic cover clips behind the inside door opener lever. It isn't a great Subaru design. Once the panel is removed, lower the window frame holder to the near bottom of the door. Pretty much a matter of vacuuming out broken pieces of glass, and installing new glass in the frame, then raising new glass to adjust. Not a difficult job. The nastiest part is removing the tape residue left behind, when a plastic bag or cardboard was taped to the door frame and roof that replaced the glass.

OMG NOOOOOO!!!!!! :confused: Do not just change the doors!!!! It is a couple of ten and twelve mm nuts and bolts!! At worst you just need to loosen the window regulator from the inside mounting. This can be done in about 20 min. When you pull the panel you will see two holes that you can roll the window (or lack there of) down to that point and then you have access with a 10mm socket on an extension to the two ten mm nuts that hold the window to the reg bracket. Just pull those and then remove the old nubs that used to hold your window just reverse procedure for the install and just make sure the glass goes into the guides.

I just replaced the rear door window glass on my legacy after it got busted. The whole process isn't too hard. You do need to move the window down a little to get at the one bolt. Make sure you don't lose the bolt. One of mine ended up getting stuck behind the motor assembly and the door.

Getting the new glass in wasn't too bad once I got the slides in the door. I had to adjust the window a little bit, but it wasn't bad.

It is often possible to get the wrecking yard to send a guy with you with a battery or jumper box, if you nicely tell the counter man that you want to pull a door glass, and need a power window lowered to do so. Sometimes, the yard guy with the battery/jumper box will help you pull the glass without asking if he is not busy. Other times, it helps to grease the guy directly with a $5 or $10 bill for his extra help. Watch the guy closely, so you can see how he removed the glass, so you can remember how to reinstall. Also, collect (to take home) all bolts, nuts, etc, that were removed to free up the glass. You never know when you might need some of that extra hardware.

Sounds easy enough.

So how would I lower the window on a powered window car in a junkyard?

I usually just unbolt the regulators and bend and mutilate it as needed to get the glass out. The U-pull it around here won't let batteries in the yard and won't help. Oh well.