Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, so my passenger side inner cv boot had split and I had it replaced(OEM) at my last oil change. My car just went in for another oil change today and now they are telling me that all my cv boots are split (inner and outter) when I reminded them that they had just replaced the passenger side inner they said oh yeah all of them but that one... they are telling me it is normal for this to happen, I can't see loosing 3 boots in 3 month normal... or all four in the last 6 month. Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening, or if this is actually normal?

thanks

Denise

Hi Denise, I have a 2001 Forester with 86k miles on her here in Boston. The only boot that cracked on mine so far is the passenger front inner boot above the exhaust pipe (cracks due to the heat from the pipe.)

That is the one that went on mine, I just looked back in my posts it happened just a little over 2 months ago I have 220,000kms (or 136701 miles) on mine. I just find it strange the rest were fine 2 months ago and now all of them are apparently torn...

Not to mention that I had to remind them that they just changed the p/s inner boot and all of the sudden it was only 3 that needed to be replaced..

The RH (passenger) side inner boot is the more common failure. Not sure why the others would then fail in such rapid succession. The rest probably aged similarly.

Have you owned this vehicle since new and/or were any 'rebuilt' axles installed?

I bought the car used this past December I do not know about the repair history on it...

Not to mention that I had to remind them that they just changed the p/s inner boot and all of the sudden it was only 3 that needed to be replaced..

haha yah that is funny.

Can you take a peak at the boots to see if they really are split? Sometimes as the boots age they develop a lot of little cracks in the rubber but aren't yet split; not sure if that's what they're seeing or what.

I mean this is what a split boot looks like:

splitboot1.jpg

splitboot2.jpg

I will see if I can take a look once I get home from work, and see what they are going on about...

Cars, they are so wonderful...

It is going in next week because someone hit it in a parking lot and took off so it is getting all the body work done and a complete paint job, now all the cv boots and aparently the transmission output seals are going to need to be done eventually (that was their exact words)

haha yah that is funny.

Can you take a peak at the boots to see if they really are split? Sometimes as the boots age they develop a lot of little cracks in the rubber but aren't yet split; not sure if that's what they're seeing or what.

I mean this is what a split boot looks like:

splitboot1.jpg

splitboot2.jpg

Sorry I just noticed you are from buffalo NY, I go there often shopping lol Do you know of any good mechanics in that area...I have been thinking about taking it in in the states for a while because everything just seems cheaper there and people generally know what a Subaru is there :)

OK, so my passenger side inner cv boot had split and I had it replaced(OEM) at my last oil change. My car just went in for another oil change today and now they are telling me that all my cv boots are split (inner and outter) when I reminded them that they had just replaced the passenger side inner they said oh yeah all of them but that one... they are telling me it is normal for this to happen, I can't see loosing 3 boots in 3 month normal... or all four in the last 6 month. Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening, or if this is actually normal?

thanks

Denise

Who does your oil change?

nipper

Suggestion:

Always park with the wheels straight ahead. I parked my Forester with the wheels to the right, due to odd parking angle at work,and within a few weeks I had a torn inner boot. Mechanics said, this was likely the cause, and age of course. Suffices to say, I know park in a different spot.

Sorry I just noticed you are from buffalo NY, I go there often shopping lol Do you know of any good mechanics in that area...I have been thinking about taking it in in the states for a while because everything just seems cheaper there and people generally know what a Subaru is there :)

I don't know of any shops, but I can tell you who does: Nile Jenkins. His Web site is http://www.thecarconnectionbusinessnetwork.com/ He deals with automotive questions and issues in the Buffalo and Ontario areas. He has some good shops listed on his site. He knows of others that might not necessarily be listed as well.

You can search for shops in your area on his site, or you can e-mail him, or you can call him during his radio show. It's saturday mornings from 7-9am on 99.5FM (not sure if you can pick that up where you are; it's a 100,000 watt station in Buffalo I can pick it up even in Ohio).

Who does your oil change?

nipper

Good question. I think they are the same people that told her that the four boots were toast and then only 3 :confused:

Seems fishy to me. Some people think women are easy prey when it comes to car repair. Happened to a former girl friend that was driving my car. I would even supect they slit the boots themselves.

Maybe I'm a little paranoïd...:cool:

Good question. I think they are the same people that told her that the four boots were toast and then only 3 :confused:

Seems fishy to me. Some people think women are easy prey when it comes to car repair. Happened to a former girl friend that was driving my car. I would even supect they slit the boots themselves.

Maybe I'm a little paranoïd...:cool:

Sears got ion trouble for cutting boots. if she could get a mechanical freind to look at the boots to see if the cuts are clean, or slightly jagged.

nipper

When I was replacing the CV boot the other month some people were mentioning reman subaru axles for like 60.00 or so. Does anyone know where I can get these? I live in Canada and everything I have seen here have been 200.00 +

I have no idea what you should pay........I rebuild my own.

Give these guys a try:

http://www.euro-drive.com/

Ask for David

Let us know

+1 on MWE. With 220K on your car it would not surprise me if they would all fail around the same time. But I agree it's certainly suspicious. Also, the passenger side does fail more often since it is right over the catalytic converter which generates quite a lot of heat and causes the boot above to fail more often than the rest.

+1 on MWE. With 220K on your car it would not surprise me if they would all fail around the same time. But I agree it's certainly suspicious. Also, the passenger side does fail more often since it is right over the catalytic converter which generates quite a lot of heat and causes the boot above to fail more often than the rest.

Yea, before the forester was mine, the inlaws got a new cat converter from the dealer (in my opinion should have just been an O2 sensor replacement). Then coincidentally, ON THE DRIVE HOME from the shop, the inner passenger boot failed. Not that I'm saying it couldn't happen, but there's some shady folks out there. "OOPS, my screwdriver slipped" or "Oh darn I dropped my switchblade" happens a lot.

IMHO To have three fail at once is nearly impossible.

My inner passenger CV boot split about a month ago. I motived a burning smell coming from the engine when I stopped and noticed grease spewd all over the engine and exhaust. What a smell.

Indeed! Thats how I discovered mine had torn. The smell is horrible if not down right putrid.

Yes that is a nasty acrid smell. When mine ripped, I was at a gas station and I smelled it and I thought a truck tire was on fire or something. Then when I stopped at Home Despot I smelled it again and thought that can't be good, and people walking in front of my car were making sickly faces and wafting their hands in front of their noses.

I just did mine, a 2000 OBW. Both inners failed within about a week of each other, and the vile stench was the clue to look underneath. I replaced the axle shafts with new ones from MWE, which were $75 each plus shipping. A pretty good deal. Mileage is about 148,000.