Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 1 year later...
Some people have had good results with GCK axles. I think autozone has them too. OEM Subaru axles are very durable. MWE are reman Subaru axles that work very well.

Who is MWE, and is there a tutorial on replacing just the boots? Never done it but I got one torn and the joint is quiet and smooth- so far.

Who is MWE, and is there a tutorial on replacing just the boots? Never done it but I got one torn and the joint is quiet and smooth- so far.

MWE is here: http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/ Highly recommended. Not sure about just replacing boots. I have always just replaced the whole axle. Well, actually, 20 years ago I tried replacing just boots a few times, never seemed to work out too well. I think once you get road crud in there the joint is going to eat itself unless it's completely dis-assembled and cleaned right.

MWE is here: http://www.ccrengines.com/mwe/ Highly recommended. Not sure about just replacing boots. I have always just replaced the whole axle. Well, actually, 20 years ago I tried replacing just boots a few times, never seemed to work out too well. I think once you get road crud in there the joint is going to eat itself unless it's completely dis-assembled and cleaned right.

Thanks,

I was thinking about trying to dis-assembling and cleaning greasing myself, but have no idea how.

Also, thought about swapping left to right when I do it, so the thrust on the bearings would be on the other side.

Thanks,

I was thinking about trying to dis-assembling and cleaning greasing myself, but have no idea how.

Also, thought about swapping left to right when I do it, so the thrust on the bearings would be on the other side.

PM me with your email address, I'll send you some info on how to do this. What kind of a car do you have?

Thanks,

It is messy, labor intensive, and really not worth doing unless you are really hurting on money and have the space and time to do it.

I've done it on other cars years ago, but just decided its easier and more cost effective to replace the axle.

nipper

PS

Here is a suggestion.

Get yourself an rebuilt axle. Install it (there is no left or right on subaru axles). Take your old one and take it apart and put it back together (w/o the boot). This way you learn how it works, and dont have to worry about the time constraint or finding out the axle is in much worse shapoe then you thought.

PS

Here is a suggestion.

Get yourself an rebuilt axle. Install it (there is no left or right on subaru axles). Take your old one and take it apart and put it back together (w/o the boot). This way you learn how it works, and dont have to worry about the time constraint or finding out the axle is in much worse shapoe then you thought.

That is the plan.