Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Convertor shaft split seal ring installation?

I ran into a major snag re-installing the transmission. The #10 seal from this diagram:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1445&d=1094095460

slips out of its groove when seating the TC that last final .25 inch.

I am considering gluing it into the groove with a tiny amount of some rtv or something, just to get it placed.

It's very flimsy, and would easily slip out. Should I wait to Monday and get a new part from the stealership?

There seems to be no way to confirm that it is seated correctly.

mpergielelmhurstil99foresterlauto97legato

If you can wait, I would recommend getting the new seal. It shouldn't be popping out of place, and that may mean your current one is about to crack. I bought one about 4 months ago and it was under $10. The last thing you probably want is to have this seal leaking and have to pull everything apart again.

If you can wait, I would recommend getting the new seal. It shouldn't be popping out of place, and that may mean your current one is about to crack. I bought one about 4 months ago and it was under $10. The last thing you probably want is to have this seal leaking and have to pull everything apart again.

Thanks very much for responding so quickly, that gives me the rest of this Sunday off from this thing.

I've been sitting here with a cup of coffee think of how to secure it as it goes in, with a little ring cut from a disposable latex glove. Just enough to hold it, but maybe small enough to get flushed through or dissolved.

Nice hot day in Chicago today. Couple cups more and go for a bicycle ride.

:)

mpergielelmhurstil99foresterl97legato

oh yes, definitely wait and replace that. there's no way you want to introduce contaminants there inside the trans, no matter how small and benign they may seem in your hand. some thick grease is about the only way to help hold in place. i've always found that seal a bit flakey, it's amazing to me they don't cause more problems than they do.

the dealer calls it a "ring seal" and if you can, take a picture with it circled or better yet a part number, sometimes they have a hard time finding it on their screens.