Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Upcoming oil change, which kind?

Guys,

I am about to go for an oil change in my rig. I've been using Mobil 20W-50 which is the generic oil in my neck of the woods (I'm not particularly pleased with the way it performs, though). However, other than the more expensive synthetic motor oils, what kind of oil would you recommend? (I am kinda heavy duty user: 8.000ft above sea level altitude, some mud/dirt roads, lots of hills and heavy on the gas)... Thanks:confused:

Thanks, what about the 15W-40?, I know it is designed for diesel & truck engines, and it is a moderately priced option, but like I said, I need heavy duty oil, and one that can reduce engine clacking noises...:cool:

diesel oil has a higher content of ZDDP (zinc phosphate). it's a great barrier lubricant, but automotive oil has less and less of it, since it's not terribly friendly to the catalytic converter. it's a great additive to use, but only if you don't really care about the cat, pasing emissions, maintaining the warranty on the cat (extremely expensive). if you want a heavy oil for summer use, there are synthetics (and some conventionals) that go all the way to 20w-50.

for more info on oils, search...there are dozens of threads on this forum, or visit http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for some serious oil fanatics and more information about lubrication than you can take in in an entire lifetime. my only advice: don't believe hearsay, rumors or grand claims (positive or negative) without making sure they're true by actual scientific studies.

~Erik~