Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK , I need to know what you guys have towed w/yer subies?

Im planning on selling my 94 Isuzu Trooper and getting a post 93 Legacy or Outback.

Question is though.

Can the Legacy/Outback handle pulling a tow dolly with another subie on the dolly?

It would be towed on flat to mellow inclines , just up and down the I-5 corridor here in Oregon.

Thanx all .

I just really want my subie back but dont know if it can handle the work load I need it to do?

I think you are asking any Subie to do more than what it was designed to do. Towing a loaded car hauler is too much for any vehicle that is of unibody construction such as a Subie. Your tow vehicle needs to be something with a full frame under it, like a full size p/u truck with a V-8 motor.

horrible idea. yes it can do it but it's very unsafe and irresponsible. if you're the type that likes doing irresponsible things that risk your life, the lives of others, and then gloating about it when it "goes okay", "you pulled off what others suggested was a bad idea" and you "beat the odds", then definitely start towing with your subaru. it can do it, but it's a very, very bad idea. it's highly unsafe and not nearly up to the task. brakes will be very, very weak and too much weight.

have a dedicated vehicle for towing only, it'll be less costly in the long run anyway. if you can't afford to do that, then don't sell the isuzu.

I used to tow two jet skis on trailer with my 93 Leg wagon.I'll be honest and say it did it power wise no problem other than pulling long hills or grades.I'll also be honest and say going down those same hills and grades was down right dumb, I luckily never lost control but there were times I was very uncomfortable. I took the hitch off just so i couldn't tow anything anymore.

I wouldn't recommend it

I posted earlier that I think it is a bad idea, others think so too. Therefore, it doesn't take much imagination for a cop seeing this towing rig to think it is a bad idea also. If so, expect to receive a hefty violation ticket for breaking some law. Next, their would be towing fees and in-pound lot fees, when the whole mess is hauled away.

A soob with the appropriate brakes, both vehicular and trailer, wouldn't be that bad. Just keep it out of overdrive and be cautious. Remember that you are doubling your weight.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to do it on a soob with a manual transmission due in part to a good number of ratios, and the lack of reliance of fluid to transfer the power to the wheels.