Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 lug conversion Q

Thats exactly what I did.

I used Mazda rims, as in my sig. The tires are 215/60R14, with no rubbage on an unlifted vehicle; I even tested 225's and they worked with only minor rubs on hard turns/bumps. That becomes less of an issue with a lift and different tire combos.

I'm not ready to lift mine yet, so I stuck with "more streetable" tires.

Go for it!

PS if you want rear discs, don't do what I did. Get the discs FIRST and THEN do the drilling...:rolleyes: ...

Is there any kind of write up on this anywhere? Specs and what all is avalible out there? Like, AL wheels, 15 inches or so with that bolt pattern, and blah blah blah?

Me thinks 6 lug AL wheels on RX with low profile Stickyness tires will be better than now...13's, with big sidewall, and only sticky...as compared to stickyness! :banana:

The rims are from a mid 80's Mazda pickup, like a "b2500" or something or other... I see them in yards around here all the time.

The lug pattern is the same as on toyotas, but I THINK the hub centre might be different.

THe 225's rubbed on both my front fenders, and *just* on the inner fenderwell on a really tight turn WITH a bump <i tested by going up a sidewalk and a parking barrier :D> I say "minor" beacause the car has weak front springs and I haven't gotten around to putting others on yet. I don't recall anything rubbing on the suspension.

Also, the 225's on these rims bulged A LOT! the rims are 5.5 inches wide, and I had the really "convince" the tire machine that yes, in fact, that tire does really want to go on here... :banghead::D

Be warned. The rims I used were *very* tight on the centre of the hub, and I turned the hub centre down bit, like a 64th or so? Not much, but I don't know if this is a Mazda thing all around, or just the year I chose...I just found the first truck with five rims <need a spare :)> and pirated them. Painted them black and off I went. Actually, another reason I chose these is that taking the extra width into account, these wheels are VERY close to the very strange offset that our Subies use. The net result is even with a tire thats almost two inches wider, it only sticks out about an inch. A friend of mine says it the "most pissed-off looking little car she's ever seen." Of course, she's never seen some of your guys rigs...

What I REALLY want to do, Is get a set of 15" chromed 6 spokes like on the later model Mazda trucks, and I think I've seen them on Pathfinders, too. Use those and a set of low profile stickies on my <hopeful> Project 3 Door.

WJM, you seem to have a similar idea.

The only thing keeping me from going that route is that I realised that the 5 lug conversion not only means more rims <i'm not really into style, anyway> it may also mean access to a load more whoa to match the go... bigger brakes are always a good thing.

Sorry I don't have pics. I don't own a digital cam. But Santa's on his way. <I hope he forgives my being naughty...I mean really, BOTH those girls came on to ME... :santa:>

Any other q's, just ask!

Toyota, Chevy, Jeep, Datsun/Nissan, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Mazda, all the same 6 lug patern and will work. It's the center holes that difer a little frome one brand/wheel style to the next. but some grinder work can fix that too(but that's a little "butch" for me:eek: )