Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej motors

1bignose

joost, do we know this to be true? why wouldn't the O2 and ECU compensate accordingly - keeping the air fuel ratio the same should gaurantee the proper fuel is getting in the engine right?

in theory yes, but the stock injectors of the 1.8 do not flow enough for the thirsty 2.2. also, the computer can only modify the original map to a certain amount, and it's not enough to run at 100% with 2.2 injectors and 1.8 ECU (otherwise, why would people get an ecutek on their modded WRXes?)

I can also imagine that the ignition maps on the 2.2 are different since the cam profiles and motor characteristics are different from the 1.8, but don't know for sure though.

You can run with the 1.8 ECU and 2.2 injectors and use a SAFC for fine tuning. Or run with the 2.2 ECU and injectors, but I don't know if the other sensors are swappable (I'd doubt it).

All this is based on EDM cars, I don't think they differ very much on this level from the USDM models, but you never know for sure...

• 2 weeks later...

<<<ej22 swap using ej18 manifold and injectors, no problems but i get a random CEL on long drives, it goes away after a day though. If i were to do it again i would have just saved an extra bit of time and done a ej20 turbo or ej25 turbo swap. 18-22 swap got me about 30-40 horse in theory where the 20 would have been another 40 on top:burnout:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68523 is my swap thread and i used Austins for most of my research(the one listed above)