Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 lug conversion

Everything you need to know is documented there.

There is also tons of conversation about the 6 lug conversion all over this forum, mostly in the off-road section.

I took 6 lug rims and drilled 2 more holes in them to match the subaru 4 lug pattern. But the center hole was too small, and I had to grind away at my hubs to get things to fit propperly. I used chevy luv rims.

-Brian

I drilled 2 more holes in the wheel. They're steel Toyota Tundra wheels. The hole in the center doesn't have to be modified. They have about an 1" - 1.5" offset. I perfer to drill out the steel wheel than to mess with the hub. Much easier to do than drilling cast metal and sufacing the backside of the hub so the lugs seat correctly on the uneven surface of the backside of the hub. Bret

I drilled front and rear hubs when I lifted my brat.... here are pics

ft_done_painted.JPG

rr_hubs_w_paint.JPG

All pretty and painted.

These were done with a titanium bit, a hand drill....and lots of patience. :grin:

I hate to disagree with NAPA parts (cause I usually love 'em) but I ordered studs from them, and found they would not bite into the drilled holes well enough for me.

I had several 4-lug hubs laying around, and found the real subaru studs that are pressed into them are sturdy enough to withstand being hammered out, and then re-inserted again. The "real" ones were much nicer to work with for me.

The only thing I will do when I do it again, is use a drill press for "square-er" holes :rolleyes:

My .02 cents

yeah,if you have a drill press then this is not a project to be afraid of,the material drills easily with a cobalt bit and clearancing the backside is not hard.When i did mine i took out 2 studs and mounted the wheel with the 2 that you leave on,i then started all the new holes by hand using the wheel as a template.After that just took the wheel off and finished the holes with a drill press and everything is perfect.:clap:

This is some great info. Gillman Subaru South here is Houston is helping me with the car and all the work so they can display the car when we are finished. Get this, my wife bought me train horns from http://www.HornBlasters.com with the air compressor so I can run air tools from the Brat. You can't teach women these kinds of things.

Back to the hubs, we have a drill press and 15 ton press, it's a huge dealership with all the goodies. I have really lucked out on this deal. I never thought a dealer could be cool but we both have something each other wants. They need to help market an event and they want to display the truck for a few months, I need free labor.

I'm thinking of buying a 15 or 14 X 7 / 6 lug but I need to know if a 7" wide rim will fit and how tall can I go? Since I'm doing the conversion, what off set do I need?

Scott

Depends on how tall you go, I have 15x7's on my brat, but have "low-pros" on.

3967PICT0712_Small_.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

i drilled mine on a brigeport and i know i got them right on, but, i always use the 2 original studs to locate the wheel in the right spot before i tighten the other 4. i painted my two originals with orange paint so i can always find them.

6 lug is the best, and they look so much cooler than 4!

i drilled mine on a brigeport and i know i got them right on, but, i always use the 2 original studs to locate the wheel in the right spot before i tighten the other 4. i painted my two originals with orange paint so i can always find them.

What size rim and off-set did you buy, I'm ready to buy but want to make sure I get the right size and off-set.

I know I want a 14" X 5" 6 bolt patter but I need the off-set, do you or anyone else know these measurements?

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to do this same thing at school on the bridgport what size bit did you use? My instructor is wanting me to drill it and then ream it to size I think he's crazy cuz theres people on here who have done it by hand and it comes out well ok i guess.:banghead:

I am about to do this same thing at school on the bridgport what size bit did you use? My instructor is wanting me to drill it and then ream it to size I think he's crazy cuz theres people on here who have done it by hand and it comes out well ok i guess.:banghead:

your instructor is doing it the right way, because a reaming bit is more precise then a drill bit, so in the end, the hole is more precise.

BUT, since you're going to ram a stud through, I think you'll be fine if you just drilled it. Just make sure your new holes are smaller or as small as the original ones, you don't want the studs working loose.

What size rim and off-set did you buy, I'm ready to buy but want to make sure I get the right size and off-set.

I know I want a 14" X 5" 6 bolt patter but I need the off-set, do you or anyone else know these measurements?

I would also like to know what size rim & offset will generally fit on Gen1's. What are the measurements the pugs for comparison?

• 2 weeks later...