Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lockers with r180

Lazer

Hey I've been thinking. The r180 differential does have some aftermarket stuff for it included arb lockers. Is it possible to use one of those in a subaru configuration??

I was thinking mounting a t-case on my brat with 2 r180 differentials with lockers in both.. Is this possible or have I missed something??

and the local dealer says no as well.......

supposedly is just that,supposedly.and that doesn't get you anywhere.

i looked into this a while back.when ken got his locker on his brat...cause i was pissed he had one.cheers, brian

I don't think ARB makes lockers for the R180. If you go to their site and look at their application catalog. The R200 has a ARB part number but the R180 says NA.

that sucks...

looks like we will have....

:burnout::)

:) __:)

BW

When I was thinking about doing this, I found that the ARB is supposed to fit the R200A found in the front of Pathfinders etc, but that unit is also supposed to work in the R200 found in Z cars etc. Ok R200s could be used in a Subaru but the problem I ran into is cost. If I was gonna spend that much for two air lockers and possibly machine work on axles etc, why put that much cash into a Subaru?

If the information in the first link I posted is correct, then you should be able to find a R200 with the 3.9 ratio. So the gearing shouldn't be problem. Getting the output shafts to work with Subaru axles is where it becomes interesting. I was thinking about using Nissan axles but they don't seem to allow much suspension travel.

Guys, guys... I've even gone and got a price from an ARB shop on a R180 locker (fits the front of a Nissan Navara (720 anyone?) They do make them... REALLY, they DO!... Problem is the Narava uses the short nose R series. You can however get the long nose, but in a 3.7 ratio the long nose R180 only came in SOME 90's Maxima's. Then, hopefully the splines are the same between that diff and the Navara diff. But then you still have to chop or get custom axles to switch over to the Subaru design. Lots of work really. But I've looked into it and it is very possible. Just over my budget ($1200 for an ARB locker, $300 for a Maxima diff, $$$ for custom axles.. In a $5000 car :rolleyes:)

Sorry about that first part.. I just can't believe how many times I've been told ARB don't make R180 air lockers...

Sorry about that first part.. I just can't believe how many times I've been told ARB don't make R180 air lockers...

I guess it's because their website application guide lists the R180 as N/A. Which seems to indicate they don't make one - all other spots in the guide which say N/A mean they don't make one for that application. They do list one for the 6cyl Navarra, but that's an R200 application.

I guess it's because their website application guide lists the R180 as N/A. Which seems to indicate they don't make one - all other spots in the guide which say N/A mean they don't make one for that application. They do list one for the 6cyl Navarra, but that's an R200 application.

Ok, maybe the USA ARB doesn't do the R180... but you can't tell me there isn't a listed R180 in this file here http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

And I just realized that's even from a US site..

Ok, maybe the USA ARB doesn't do the R180... but you can't tell me there isn't a listed R180 in this file here http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

And I just realized that's even from a US site..

ok, im sorry, maybe i'm wrong here but if you look over to the right of the listing for the r180 on that website link you listed under the column for the ARB part # it shows N/A.

so to me that means not available, right? :confused:

The r180 does look simular to the stock subaru diff Diff_R31_Viscous.jpg

as long as we can get the axles to fit this does look doable..

similar yes, the nissan 720 truck I have the housing "look" similar but its actually larger then the subaru housing, also it has bolt up flanges at the diff

heres a R180

051001401.jpg

heres a R160( Subaru size)next to a R200

000_0016.jpg

heres a good article

http://www.ratdat.com/technical/R200_swap/R200_swap.html

what we do is just weld up the spider gears and your locked

ok, im sorry, maybe i'm wrong here but if you look over to the right of the listing for the r180 on that website link you listed under the column for the ARB part # it shows N/A.

so to me that means not available, right? :confused:

Ok, I see what your on about. A year ago when I looked into this the part number there used to read RD107 with a little 3. I guess they stopped making them. Next time I'm in an ARB shop I'll ask on availability of the locker for the front of a Navara.