Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is my car really a pansy a-- piece of crap? I thought Subarus were like a Timex, they could take a lickin' and keep on tickin', maybe even tougher than a Timex!

I realize people who post on this board are "enthusiasts" and with that comes "enthusiasm". Phrases like "Always", "Every" or "Never" make we wonder about what panacea Subaru engineers think my car will be driven in. I have read some threads that would make an outsider think twice about getting a Subaru if at all.

Ideal World: I would buy matching make, model and size of tires and rotate them every other day and check PSI at every red light.

Real World: I buy 2 tires and 2 months later buy the other 2. Same make and size but perhaps a different model. I rotate the tires about every 8,000 to 10,000 miles and check the PSI about every 3 weeks. I better not get torque bind if the tires diameter miss match by 1/16" for 8 weeks. (and I haven't)

Ideal World: I would buy new rotors when replacing the brake pads every 30,000 miles.

Real World: I have enough $$ to get pads and turn the "in spec" rotors. So what, at the very end of the pads life I have some minor shimmy while braking. I live with it and the car stops great. Could it stop perhaps 3' shorter had I bought new rotors? Sure. Is the auto parts store going to give me new rotors for price of turning the old ones on my looks? Sure NOT!

Ideal World: I would change my oil every 3,000 miles.

Real World: 3,600, maybe 4,600 if I am working all week and I don't get home until late every night and the night I have I just don't feel like it.

If my car can't take a little abuse and still perform when called upon I might as well shoot it and put the car out of it's and my misery and go buy a Kia. I take pretty dog gone good care of my car. I drive it 80+ miles a day and some of that at 80mph. Unfortunately every once in a while I slam on the brakes and lug the engine until I cram the clutch in. So what, the car better suck it up! It is a daily driver not an F1 car.

I switched from VWs to Subarus in 98. In that time I have had 3 Legacys and 1 Outback. They were all, and three still are, great cars. The 3 Legacys had 125,000+ when I bought them. ScoobySchmitty has one of my retired Legacys still going at 200,000+ and my current daily driver has 165,000+ and the Outback has 145,000+. All systems still work GREAT and repairs have been rare (knock on wood). I would check the oil, fill the car up with gas and drive to Seattle with any of my cars at any time if I had to.

As the paraphrased song goes (apologies to Bruce S.):

"Subarus like ours,

Baby, they were born to RUN!"

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Cuz I am waitin'

Greg :-)

As it says in the book "How o Keep Your Volkswagon Alive; The Compleat Idiot's guide to VW Repair" - "Make peace with your rump roast for it bears you." One should put as much into one's vehicle as he/she needs to to feel confident about it. Beyond that, it's cosmetic.

Actually the opposite reason for the tirade. I am thrilled with my cars. I think Subarus are built like M-1 Tanks and are nearly bullet proof but from reading some of the posts lately you would think Subarus are made of porcelin china!

Some poor guy asked about mismatched tires and from the responses you would think his transmission was minutes perhaps seconds from falling out. Now I understand there are specifications and they should be followed but COME ON!

From the way we piss and moan about our cars you would think we were all Honda LOVERS!

Peace out,

Greg

Greg, I agree with you ! My Subaru is used on a mail route so my left side is sometimes three to four inches higher than the right. The left side is running on the smooth pavement up high while the right side is off on the lower rough side of road taking a beating. It has been doing this for going on eight years and 269,000 miles. If I had heard the kind of talk you were complaining about I would have been scared to try a Subaru on a mail route.