Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

First off, I would like to thank you all for any and all advice I have gotten from you over the years. However, it is time to sell my 96 outback (5MT, 242k).

So.. I guess I am asking about how does one go about selling a car with so many miles? Most people not familiar with the Subaru wouldnt even look (my mom thinks you need a new car once it gets to 60K). How do you determine a realistic asking price, do you use craigslist, autotrader, local paper, or what? Do people sell their Soob in the marketplace here?? i have checked KBB for value, but is that an accurate reflection of what I would actually get?? any and all suggestions are welcome, but if I cant sell it I think my wife would be more upset than I would! :)

thanks

badjer

Simply:

It depends where you live, the demand for like cars, and the condition of your car.

There are what I call Subaru "hot spots", where for some reason Subaru cars get big money, I do not know about where you live.

A used car is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

The condition, and service records, play a part in determining a "fair" price.

Check around locally, see what like vehicles are bringing. If you have an outstanding example think about offering it further afield. I would think you can offer it here, pictures are good.

Ooops! good point on the location! I am in north georgia, which sort of reduces the demand for the heated seats and the winter package!! I do enjoy the heated seats in the winter, although down here there is probably not a big demand for them. thanks for the reply!

badjer

I pulled all three of my Subaru cars out of low demand areas.

88DL cost me $90 8 years ago

91 Legacy Sport Sedan cost me $400 a year ago

92 Loyale cost me $60 6 months ago

Personally I would not be afraid of A Subaru having in excess of 300,000 miles.

Ooops! good point on the location! I am in north georgia, which sort of reduces the demand for the heated seats and the winter package!! I do enjoy the heated seats in the winter, although down here there is probably not a big demand for them. thanks for the reply!

badjer

the mileage on your car will scare off some buyers, BUT a georgia car with no rust is a sight to behold. go to crazedlist.com and search in PA, NY, VT, CONN, MA, ME and see what some cars with rust are bringing.

you can always sell it for cheap. what did you pay for it? how many miles have you put on it? how much did you spend on non-maintenance repairs? (brakes, tires, oil, fluids, and tune ups are maintenence items) .

add up what you spent on it since you've owned it, purchase and repairs (not including maintenence), subtract a figure for all the miles you have driven (5 cents a mile, 10 cents a mile or something like that ) and what you have left is your "can't go below" sale price.

those are good points!!

and honestly, I am not sure myself why I am selling it, other than it is being obedient to 'she who must be obeyed' :)

No rust, transmission replaced at 190k, new clutch at that time, new timing belt, water pump, and a new AC radiator thingy last summer that encountered a large rock on the road.

Anyway, I guess I am thinking the car is a great one, worth a lot, but the reality of the market makes it tough to price it. Personally, I wouldnt mind driving it forever (and I make long road trips over 1000 miles regularly) but she who is to be obeyed is a bit nervous about that!

thanks for the input!

badjer

I am not sure myself why I am selling it, other than it is being obedient to 'she who must be obeyed' :)

badjer

perhaps you can appeal to her more practical side. "honey, sweetheart, if we sell the subaru and buy another car it's going to cost us about X thousands of dollars. if we keep the subaru and don't buy a new car we will save all those dollars; some of which we could then spend on more important things, like, maybe jewelry!!!!"

if she doesn't go for that it's a lost cause.