Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear diff mount bushing ?

I was thinking it would be a dealer only item, but didn't see it listed on the two dealer sites I tried. I just may take you up on the offer to pull one.

After posting the start of this thread, I thought of that ureathane motor mount repair, thinking maybe I will try that first, just to see. If it works, it'll save both of us some grunt work.

I did have a u-joint go bad, but that was just recently and I haven't drove BRAT much since the 242 mile drive home at purchase time, got about 500 on it now with longest drive being about 65 miles. No vibration/noises on the drive home, but now I have them.

Did a rear disc swap when I couldn't get the adjusters freed up. Now, there's a cyclic rumble from somewhere, I can't pin-point it. It's not in time with tire rotation, and it has it's own beat, if you will. I have double-checked rear brakes for anything out of order, nothing rubbing that I can find. Rear axle nuts were not to torque when I removed them, basically finger tight, so I'm thinking the bearings might be damaged. New ones on the way...

Purchased and installed new u-joints Friday last, that's when I found the bushing shot. Drove BRAT about 50 miles afterwards, developed a major vibration and deemed it to be from the driveshaft for what ever reason. Pulled a couple u-joints from spare driveshafts and cleaned/re-greased them. Put them in and swapped shaft again, way less vibration. But,,, these u-joints are much looser than the new ones, so maybe it was that the bushing being shot is culprit for vibration before with the new ones.

Wife has decreed that "HER" BRAT will be 100% before she drives it. So I'm replacing stuff. Have ball-joints, inner/outer tie-rods on order. PS inner tie-rod has a bit of play, so I'm just replacing all of it. New front bearings and seals are here. New tires are on the list also, got two different brands on it, not good...

i needed one for one of my old XT6's and they could be had for $70 from the dealer, though i think the price is now in the triple digits and this part should be the same on the EA82 it might be worth a shot. there's enough good used ones around though.

i got lucky, one of my XT6's had a brand new one on it, so i've kept that one on my own daily driver.

I'll look into that 2-part stuff. If I go that route, I'll be sure and post on the outcome of it.

Not to sure Wife will go for me baking it in the oven though. :rolleyes:

"But Honey, I'm fixing your BRAT doing this" :Flame::dead:

This BRAT is from Nevada via the one I bought it from, originally from Arizona so I found out thumbing thru the owners manual the other day. So maybe those bolts won't kick my butt when I attempt to remove them. You just don't remove bolts on a vehicle that's seen road salt all it's life.....

IIRC Tubone had a couple laying around; he sent me one for Ruby Sue just before I sold her. May want to send him a pm.

Past tense now. Been sent out to needy owners :-p

I plan on making a trip to the PAP later this week, I'll see if theres any good ones there.

How many miles on your Brat Tom?

You just don't remove bolts on a vehicle that's seen road salt all it's life.....
quit lying!!!!! sure they do - the head rounds itself off, then you go to alternate means and the head shears off leaving everything else still rustwelded together for you to drillout.

i *might* have one if turbone can't come up with one. consider me a last resort, a very last resort.

The '85 BRAT has just over 111,794 showing on the odo, not 100% sure if it's actual but believe it to be. I need to get some pics taken and put up for all to see.....

If someone wants to grab one of those mount bushings for me I'd be greatful. Won't have any "extra money" until next paycheck though.

I'll try that urethane on the one I take out, maybe put it in the '86 BRAT.

And Gary, maybe I should've worded that different. As in "you ""don't just"" remove bolts" instead of "you ""just don't"" remove them" :grin: But you hit that nail squarely on the head........

The bushing is not sold by itself . . . at Subaru dealers. You have to buy the whole assembly . . . the plate w/bushing and 4 spindles. As I recall, it cost me about ~$160 in 2006. I don't know if it can be found elsewhere without buying the whole assembly.

Didn't think one could get just the bushing, and one would have to get the whole assembly. I have the complete rear unit out of my old '86 BRAT, I looked at that mount before starting this thread. That bushing is bad also, but I got a good picture of how it goes together/comes apart better than lying under the '85 BRAT. But $160.00 or better for new is way to much in this ones opinion.