Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Key doesn't work, remote does work

No, only 45 degrees each way.

Hey we are not far apart I am in Allegany but work in Buffalo West Side Tues Wed Thurs and Sat. I am all Subaru - I was 96, 99 and 98 but 98 sedan was totaled when daughter driving nearly went into river here last year saved by a tree 1 inch diameter trunk - I had bought it from the roadside near Springville on way home with her one day.

Have seen a nice 03 Outback at basil Resale Sheridan Drive. Normally use red 99 Wagon 170000 miles.

My grey 96 has 140000 and was rolled over down a bank near Jamestown and rolled back upright and drove away. Couldn't get in it myself the roof was dented in and collected rainwater, so I put in a 3 X 4 wood prop with a bottle jack on top and popped the roof out. I am 72 years young!

Last week brick was thrown through driver side window of red one in Delaware Av motel parking lot and PDA stolen - they left GPS receiver. They could have just opened the unlocked door.

Garage replaced window with one which was scratched, but agreed to replace and so they should look at lock bar at same time. I have located a good window at breakers in Hertel Av. Thanks for advice may need you again!

Gil

Hm ok, not sure why it won't unlock/lock then. I find the key lock/unlock not helpful on my '00obw as it sets of the alarm unless it's in valet mode.

Sounds like you have some soobs that have taken a likin' and kept on tickin'! Good story about the window getting smashed out when the door was unlocked anyway...reminds me of that episode of cops where the guy threw a cinder block at a drugstore window....but it was lexan and the brick bounced back and hit him in the face.

Yes we're not that far apart. I'm in Angola. I work in Tonawanda. Sounds like we probably cross paths and don't even realize it. :) I just found a Buffalo/Rochester/WNY specific soob board the other day; haven't quite yet gotten a feel for its atmosphere.... http://www.buffaloscooby.com

Remove the door pnael and you should see a rod is popped off someplace. Haynes has a picture of it thats a little hard to follow, but the great thing is that the pass side works. If you cant see whats wrong with the drivers side, remove the passenger side and compare. It should jump out at you.

One of the retaining clips are broken.

nipper

I have a similar problem on my '87 Bimmer. No remote, but electronic locks all around. Anyway the driver's side door will unlock and lock if I use the key in the trunk or the passenger door lock, but not when I try it in the driver's side lock.

There's a cam on the back of the lock that engages a rod that actually works the lock mechanism in addition to driving the electronics to open the other door. That cam is broken off on the driver's side door lock in my case. Pretty much the same symptom as if the rod had come off, but need a new lock (or piece of one) to fix.

Last week brick was thrown through driver side window of red one in Delaware Av motel parking lot and PDA stolen - they left GPS receiver. They could have just opened the unlocked door.

Garage replaced window with one which was scratched, but agreed to replace and so they should look at lock bar at same time. I have located a good window at breakers in Hertel Av. Thanks for advice may need you again!

Gil

Did the lock work after the window was replaced?

If I read this correctly the same door had the glass replaced, so I'm thinking that the installer hit the lock and knocked someting off.

I'd have them look at it for you if all of the above is true.

Did the lock work after the window was replaced?

If I read this correctly the same door had the glass replaced, so I'm thinking that the installer hit the lock and knocked someting off.

I'd have them look at it for you if all of the above is true.

That would do it. On another car Ive done this exact same thing myself.

nipper