Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more starter issues!

AAARGH!

I put the used starter in the Brat, and it worked great.

Twice.

Now, that one is doing the exact same thing. gives one single click, and won't take a direct batt to starter jump either.

Is this a coincidence that this one crapped out the exact same way after working twice, or could something else be at work here? (killing the starters)

Any thoughts are appreciated. I still have 1 untried used starter, but I'm hesitant to use it for fear that underlying issues are killing 'em. Help!

I doubt it - take the solenoid apart and clean the contacts. Starters are at the top of the food chain - there's nothing that can toast one except maybe using it too long (heat), over voltage, or gear wear with the flywheel. I would take one of your used ones apart, and have a cleaning session with it - and maybe repace the brushes in the motor while I'm in there.

GD

I tried that, ran a wire from the pos. Batt, to the little tab. (with car in neutral, & e braked) just brushed the tab & it does the same thing: nothing. C'mon! it started twice before! The Soob gods must be angry.

Too cold now to do too much tearing apart anyway, though.

Thanks, Mick. I'll check the ground.

However, being as the old batt was pretty weak, (had to jump it after the first starter install) I just bought a new battery thinking that was the problem now, what with the deep cold and all. It wasn't. And as such, I know the post connections are tight & clean. Hopefully, It's the ground, but I have a feeling I'm putting the other starter in tomorrow. :( (I'll disassemble & clean the one I remove.) Wish me luck, we need to pick up the X-mas tree in it this weekend!