Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator sources?

looking to get a new radiator. and I need to get a loyale one (output comes straight out, not the upward angle like the older ones). I've seen radiator barn and radiator express.....both have the older style pictured, even for the loyales. I sent them an email, but am looking for other options.

Yep that's how mine is! The lower output is str8t out, Not bent up like the DL/GL ect... Well i wonder how i would order one off the net if i needed one? Maybe i'll just have to go to the dealer!:confused:

-Tom

Try radiators.com

Thats where I got my 2 core. When I ordered it, I called them and made them describe it to me so I knew I was getting the right one. They were very helpful and also provided overnight shipping.

Yep that's how mine is! The lower output is str8t out, Not bent up like the DL/GL ect... Well i wonder how i would order one off the net if i needed one? Maybe i'll just have to go to the dealer!:confused:

-Tom

the pictures I posted were from performanceradiator.com (thanks CCR for the link). they have different part numbers for them, and have the correct picture associated with them. and are less then half the cost of an OEM one from the dealer (yes....I checked :eek: )

calebz. that is weird. it's hard to tell from radiator part numbers, as there are a bunch of different ones for ones with an MT/AT, turbo/NA etc. but everything from 1990+ has the same lower rad hose listed....

Try radiators.com

Thats where I got my 2 core. When I ordered it, I called them and made them describe it to me so I knew I was getting the right one. They were very helpful and also provided overnight shipping.

^^^ Second that one. Got me a real nice purdy copper unit for the Brat from those people, for $200 cheaper than the local parts house.

This afternoon I got a call from radiator barn.com. They can't get the 2 row any more.

I looked up this thread, and went to radiators.com to check price / etc. It put me in chat. Went through the whole thing, 2 row, outlet angle, etc. Ok, this is trickey, we'll call you. Phone rings, radiator ordered. I'll have it tomorrow. Less than 24 Hrs., normal shipping fee, not preimium overnight or anything.

Damn, that was fast!

This afternoon I got a call from radiator barn.com. They can't get the 2 row any more.

I looked up this thread, and went to radiators.com to check price / etc. It put me in chat. Went through the whole thing, 2 row, outlet angle, etc. Ok, this is trickey, we'll call you. Phone rings, radiator ordered. I'll have it tomorrow. Less than 24 Hrs., normal shipping fee, not preimium overnight or anything.

Damn, that was fast!

Thats about how it went down for me as well. IT was a pleasant surprise when it showed up. The quality of the unit surpassed what I had any right to expect for the price I paid.

One issue that did come up was clearance around the passenger side headlight, but I think that might have something to do with my car not being perfectly straight.

Yeah i know it's fast! You talked to Dwight right? I think i'll go there if i need a radiator.

I'm not sure at this point. I got the radiator this morning. With the wrong outlet pipe. I need the angled upward one, not the straight back one. And I did specifically ask about that when on the phone.

I don't know if there is a hose that would work - the normal ones I have always used won't for sure.

Here is what I got:

Radiators.com Part number 1269PL.

2 Row core (good)

Heat exchanger for AT (I need)

Plastic end tanks (yuck)

Made in china (yuck)

Outlet pipe straight back (can't use)

Now I have to go 31 miles to their warehouse - best bet to check for all the variables. The top 2 I need, the next 2 I'll live with if I have to, the bottom one won't work.

It would be good to find out if there is an all metal 2 row w/angled output available elsewhere before friday, when I can make the trip.

Man that sounds bad And here i thought they might be good.

Plastic sides!:eek:

made in china!:eek:

And they dident even give you the one with the angled upward pipe. Sounds like a rip-off artist:lol: I think wheni need one i'll just see what the dealer wants. Atleast i know what i'm getting and i'm really close to them. Only about 3 miles away.

good luck with ther warehouse, Hope you get the right one!

-Tom

Outlet pipe straight back (can't use)

why? only difference is the radiator hose. just go to the parts store and get a rad hose for a loyale (mine's a '92).

or subaru part # 45162GA020

The Loyale. I get 20% off parts (local club discount), and a new radiator from them was still $270. and that's still plastic end tanks etc.

The Loyale. I get 20% off parts (local club discount), and a new radiator from them was still $270. and that's still plastic end tanks etc.

$270! And it's still got plastic ends tanks.. Well that plastic doesn't really bother me cause my parents 99 Blazer S-10 have a rad with plastic ends and never has a probelm. I think i'd just get one from Rockauto.com since i ordered the Oil pump and seals T-belts ect.. From them with no issues.

-Tom

I'm going to need a radiator source if my repaired unit fails. I have an '83 GL Sedan FWD AT w/ AC. The core measures 25" x 13 3/4". I tried every site listed on this thread and no one has a match for it. radiator.com had the closest match at 25" x 12". What gives???? I imagine I can retrofit the radiator.com 25" core length to work but the damn thing's $200! Every other site pulls up a 23" core length for my car. BTW, my GL has straight in/out pipes.

why? only difference is the radiator hose. just go to the parts store and get a rad hose for a loyale (mine's a '92).

or subaru part # 45162GA020

OK, I'll look into that. I've owned 3 GL's and 2 Loyales. All wagons. All w/AC. All 3ATs.

All have the radiator with the angled outlet. I never saw a straight back one before.

That hose must be a very "S" shaped thing, looking at how things "line up".

I just looked at usaradiator. Wish I went there first. They have pictures, and you can pick the part numbers, see all the details before ordering. They have all metal radiators, including the 2 row I want. Much better if you are trying to customize.

"Dwight" at radiators.com is a bot of some sort, not a live person. I tried to get him off script, to inquire about returning the wrong one. "He" ignored my entries, went on with make / model etc. "Oh this one's tricky, we'll call." I thought he could type awfully fast....

Their return policies suck:mad: I have to go to the warehouse. I can swap for a different one, or pay $35.00 restocking fee.

Not sure which way I'll go, but all the info is here.

All have the radiator with the angled outlet. I never saw a straight back one before.

That hose must be a very "S" shaped thing, looking at how things "line up".

that is so strange. according to my parts quick reference guide (which has yet to be wrong....knock on wood). all leone/loyale's from 12/90 up have that same part number for the lower rad hose. there are a dozen radiator part numbers, and nothing listed about what's different, just different combinations of years, 4WD, AT, and turbo....

but there are only 3 lower rad hose numbers. -11/90 non-turbo. 12/90-, and AT Turbo '87-'90.

and yes, the hose has a very distinct 'S' shape to it.