Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission Noise in 1995 Legay 5spd

Hello,

I was looking at a 95 legacy wagon recently, 5spd. It had all the quirks you would expect with a car that old and about 140kmi. However, when driving, the transmission sounded pretty much like an old 79 Jeep pickup I used to drive with a 4spd. Just sort of loud and truck-like. Also, when in certain gears, especially 2nd, if I moved the shifter the noise would change a bit.. kind of like something was tired and worn out, but I don't know enough about transmissions to know what.

Now, I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the noise. When I asked about it, he said his wife jammed it into gear once when it wouldn't go into gear and its made that noise ever since. The owner thought there may be a chipped tooth on the main wheel. Theye replaced the clutch maybe around 100k... kind of early for a clutch. Maybe they were hoping to noise would go away...

My question(s) are: Is this somewhat normal for an older Subaru transmission? I had an '83 sedan for a while and I remember having a hard time shifting sometimes. If I pick up this car, would I probably be looking at a transmission replacement later (or sooner) or would I just have to live with the noise?

Thanks very much!

Bernie N.

(New to this board.. thanks in advance!)

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie,

Not sure if you got your question answered somewhere else. The transmissions do have a little more noise then some other manufacturers, but the noise shouldn't be too loud. The fact that it changes when you move the shifter would probably indicate to me something internally might be messed up, and yeah you may need a replacement at some time.

Hello,

I was looking at a 95 legacy wagon recently, 5spd. It had all the quirks you would expect with a car that old and about 140kmi. However, when driving, the transmission sounded pretty much like an old 79 Jeep pickup I used to drive with a 4spd. Just sort of loud and truck-like. Also, when in certain gears, especially 2nd, if I moved the shifter the noise would change a bit.. kind of like something was tired and worn out, but I don't know enough about transmissions to know what.

Now, I would have bought this car if it wasn't for the noise. When I asked about it, he said his wife jammed it into gear once when it wouldn't go into gear and its made that noise ever since. The owner thought there may be a chipped tooth on the main wheel. Theye replaced the clutch maybe around 100k... kind of early for a clutch. Maybe they were hoping to noise would go away...

My question(s) are: Is this somewhat normal for an older Subaru transmission? I had an '83 sedan for a while and I remember having a hard time shifting sometimes. If I pick up this car, would I probably be looking at a transmission replacement later (or sooner) or would I just have to live with the noise?

Thanks very much!

Bernie N.

(New to this board.. thanks in advance!)