Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally! Monster wagon off-road

Subafreak

Thanks man. Deffinatly not scared to wheel it, thats what it was built for.

Dont really have a full right-up yet. Kinda wanted to see how it held up before giving anyone else bad advice. :rolleyes:

But i can now say it works very well, and it's still not finnished yet. This was just "light" off roading near my house on very familiar trails.

We still need to get skid plates on it and load it up with recovery gear and then we hit the good stuff! :banana:

I will get some more detailed pics of the undercarriage the suspension when get it back in the shop this week to tie up some loose ends. ;)

did you have permission to run over car?BTW how big are those tires?

Haha, permission? Um...well.... i just didnt think they would care. I mean it's only an old crownvic right? :grin:

Uh, 33's on it now with room for 35"s when we can afford some new wheels.

• 1 month later...

So went out and beat the hell out of it last Sat. All good untill my girlfreind took it out Monday. She was driving around and then SNAP! BANG! and the car stopped moving and the rear drive shaft was spinning freely. So she tossed it in 4wd and drve around most of the week in FWD.

So we took it to the shop last night to investigate the problem. Turns out it stripped all the teeth off the spider gears in the rear end, pretty sick!

So what do you do with a rearend with shredded spiders?......thats right, you fill it with weld. So now the wagon is rocking a welded rearend, it shouldn't be to bad as it has a tendancy to lift the weight off the inside tire on every turn anyway so there is not to much stress on it. Tommorow night we are gonna install an LSD in the front end, and then this thing should be damn near unstoppable. :headbang:

Yes so glad we welded the rearend right befor this big snow storm. We drove all over the place last night in RWD, drifting every corner (my girlfreind says it's like her 240, but the snow version:grin: )

Only time we had to put it in 4WD was when i ran into a 3ft snow bank from a plow. Clicked it in 4 wheel and srove right through, man i love this thing!

I will try to get some more pics this weekend, seems all the other wheeling we,ve done is at night and my camera sucks at night shots. ;)