Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally! Monster wagon off-road

Subafreak

Nice pix! They show me that it's way more capable than I first thought from your older shots. Very cool!

Thanks. I always knew it was capable, just never had a camera around in a cool enough wheeling spot. This thing has never let us down (except when the axles kept breaking), It always goes thrue everything we take it to.

Did find out that LSD's are no substitute for a locker, but it still works really well.

That is CRAZY FREAKIN' SICK!!!!

I need to go back through its evolution to understand what all you did to get such crazy-strong torque and power through what looks like fairly stock machinery... Nice work and nice inspiration!!

2 thumbs WAY up

LOL! Never really did a build up on it, we wanted to make sure it was gonna work first and not just crumble apart on the trails.

The only evolution it went thru was getting the STI rear end. As far as crazy torque and power.......It's running a stock 150K 2.2L with a bad blown headgasket. Im pretty sure the only reason it moves it the reduction in the Sammi T-case.

I love this car!

I've been thinking about doing this iwth a 1998 Outback but I havent figured out what to do with power yet. Been eye balling a mid 70's celica rear end. Looks like with a little bit of fabbing it should work just fine.

Looking forward to your write up!

• 1 year later...

Well this was intended as the official pic thread for the wagon. I guess i never kept up on it. We did end up building a 2.5/2.2 hybrid motor for it and man does it move this thing. Can pass cars up hill now!!!

Gotta give my girl freind cred. for some realy strong welds and a great job putting this new motor together! Both have been heavily tested and still going strong.

I did end up breaking some clutch packs in the R-180 rear diff and one more axle. Swapped in my spare r-180 and axle and been ok since.

Well i havnt been out wheeling yet this year......well except to pull my girls Ranger out of a mud pit......because i blew the tranny in my turbo Legacy and have been using the wagon as my daily driver. Cant really afford to break it untill i get another daily on the road.

Anyway, lets see if i can find the last few wheeling pics.

rollover3.jpg

rollover2.jpg

subielid1.jpg

Your area that you live in is listed as Central Village...I live in Mansfield and I am looking for a new place to try out my lifted Forester!!! I really liked the rocky terrain that you were on and I just wondered if it was public area or not.

Your area that you live in is listed as Central Village...I live in Mansfield and I am looking for a new place to try out my lifted Forester!!! I really liked the rocky terrain that you were on and I just wondered if it was public area or not.

Wow someone local with a lifted subby! Thats awsome! By any chance have you been to Holmgren subaru for parts? I started working there a few months ago and have heard of a lifted Forester that stops in now and then.

Yes the area is in voulentown and is part of a state forest. Have run into several people out there without any problem and been out there with an off-road club for a run. As far as anyone knows it compleatly legal and is a great wheeling area, lots of different terrain to play on.

Yes,i have been buying parts from Holmgren for five plus years.Wally an Mike are great to work with. I work now at EFI Logics in Bethel ,so i`am forced to by my parts from Colonial Subaru. I would like to try out that wheelin spot next weekend. jack

Thats awsome. I had been hoping you might swing in with that thing so i could see it, but it would be even cooler if i get to wheel with it!

Yeah if you wanna meet up some day next weekend and head out to the trails for awile, im cool with that. Just lemme know.

i didnt realize that was your car. i have had a pic of that subi as my laptop background forever. i really want to get that much lift on mine to clear my boggers better. how did you build the lift?

Off this thread's topic but noticing a contributor's ride, you (subimonster) are rolling an 95 legacy L.

I'd like to hear and see pix of what you've done to yours.

I'm in a 95 L and have done some work too, just curious about other 95 sedan builds.

OK, diversion ended :grin:

AWESOME build on the monster wagon BTW!

I'd also like to get more about this build... I think you mentioned a samuri x-fer case, but that's about it... Ooh and lots of axle snapping :rolleyes:

just wondering what you did to build the lift on your subaru. i have a lifted 95 legacy sedan and wish to go bigger but not really sure how to go about building the lift up. could you advise me as to what i should do?

there is an FAQ at the top of the page.it will help you understand what it is to build your own lift....

Well as it turns out Subaru 5 speeds suck in lifted applications also. Lost 2nd, 3rd, and reverse last night.

So im thinking this is the end for the monster wagon. Being this close to starting the monster sedan, i really cant see swapping trannies in the wagon right now.

So for all thoes that wanted to see how the wagon got this way keep an eye on the monster sedan thread and i promise to take more pictures this time.

P.S. Maddjack, did you ever get that P.M. i sent you?

Damn you for not getting me out wheeling in Voluntown ! :rolleyes:

You'll have to make it up to me. :grin:

See Charlie ...please , and don't forget that '74 needs attention too. :)

Screw Colonial Subaru. I don't even like typing their name - ptuey!

Qoute of the YEAR!!! -

Gotta give my girl freind cred. for some realy strong welds and a great job putting this new motor together! Both have been heavily tested and still going strong.

"Gotta give my girl freind cred. for some realy strong welds and a great job putting this new motor together! Both have been heavily tested and still going strong."

I second the quote of the year:) Blondie told me last week, "I'm a girl, remember?":rolleyes:

just wondering what you did to build the lift on your subaru. i have a lifted 95 legacy sedan and wish to go bigger but not really sure how to go about building the lift up. could you advise me as to what i should do?

(I think I) PMed you about your "lifted" sedan. I've got a strut-lifted 95 sedan too, just want to compare notes :grin:

cheers,

-mw-

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...