Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally! Monster wagon off-road

Subafreak

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatly during the 1,500mile run the bine barrons decided to soke the air filter and kill the maf.

Awile later turning into a parking lot it snapped the LR axle right at the shaft. Continuing the trip in RWD it eventually snapped the RR axle destroying the inner CV joint and dropping the axle shaft out.

wag8.jpg

So we finnished the trip in FWD. Thank god we had the LSD in the front, there waqs still alot of snow roads to finnish during the run.

To see some more highlights please check out the web site in the photos.

Lol, Just the way the picture was taken.

Sick wagon man. I love it. :clap: As i started reading this thread i began to wonder what size ring gear these things have in the F&R difs. Is there any aftermarket gears sizes available for these cars or are you stuck with stock gears? How do they like the 33s? rob a lot of power?

Sick wagon man. I love it. :clap: As i started reading this thread i began to wonder what size ring gear these things have in the F&R difs. Is there any aftermarket gears sizes available for these cars or are you stuck with stock gears? How do they like the 33s? rob a lot of power?

Thanks. We are running 4:11's in the rearends of this wagon (one in the front and rear ;) ) I think the lowest they make for R-160's is 4:44.

With the stock reduction in the Sammy T-case the gearing is actually lower than a stock Legacy. It moves like a stock Legacy with a little extra weight. In this case the Sammy T-case is the key, there are several options for lower reductions availible.

that wagon is just amazing :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

keep in touch.. i wanna go to the barrens soon.. there is a few spots there we all AWDs can have lots of fun

Hmm? What is the address of the pine barrens? I want to mapquest it to see just how long it would take me to get there from my house.

We have to get it fixed up still. We are looking at the option of STI R-180 rear ends and axles to strengthen it up a bit, but those are pricey and this wagon was very low budget. (the only money we spent on it was for the tires.)

Hmm? What is the address of the pine barrens? I want to mapquest it to see just how long it would take me to get there from my house.

We have to get it fixed up still. We are looking at the option of STI R-180 rear ends and axles to strengthen it up a bit, but those are pricey and this wagon was very low budget. (the only money we spent on it was for the tires.)

actually where we all meet is at the circle of rt70 and rt206 at the red lion diner... also the other place we get together is at the rangers station in atsion, south of the circle on 206, look at the google maps and do a search for atsion, NJ, thats where the rangers station is right by quaker bridge rd

• 2 months later...

Well after the last axle detonation we just stuck some more stock axles back in it, took it out to a great wheeling spot with some jeeps. It kicked @$$ the whole trip and then broke another axle when we got back to the pavement. Drove it around town for awile with one axle and then shortly after driving up the front of a Buick....broke the other axle. Since then it's just been sitting waiting for us to come up with something better.

We're thinking STI or..."gasp" something non-subaru, but no straite axles.

And Tom...it's got pleanty of gearing so the low cyl. count is not much of a problem.