Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally! Monster wagon off-road

Subafreak

Yeah we had to get creative on the rear brakes, and i had that set of SVX front brakes kickin around. The STI rear caliper mounts did not come close to fitting anything so we just cut them off and welded new mounts on to use the SVX calipers.

I have a T-case E-brake on order so no need for the stock e-brake anymore, and when i was down in the trailer pickin through parts i was matching up axle shafts and im pretty sure i can adapt the Loyal inner cups to the SVX front axles so i can use the SVX spindals in the front when we get around to swapping them over. Then it with have SVX brakes front and rear! Should stop this thing pretty well then.

Oh and they do clear the 15" wheels i have on the rear right now.:headbang:

On another note, all u nay sayers will be glad to know the rear axles are still the weak link.

Took it out wheeling tonight and beat the hell out of it in a mud pit. On the way out of the trail comming up a hill in 2wd it broke the LR axle.

Althoe i think the axle was damaged when i got the rearend as it was clicking a little from the moment i put the new rearend in. So im gonna call the place i got it from and see if they will send me another one.

Still waiting till I can afford a spec stage 2 for it and replace the center diff:rolleyes: but it should be running soon.

Oh yea, the bumper... after I ripped the second one off, I figured it was time to build one. lol Thats 2in galvanized PIPE!! Bumper weighs like 150lbs... Now all I need to do in build a bottom support/skid plate and all will be well... I will let you know when I can make it up there, or maybe you should come down for a Pine Barrens run??

Tom

Well i was having problems with it over extending before, becouse we extended the lateral links. The inner cv would skip just out side the cup and then pop back in.

With this new rearend we kept everything at stock length to prevent this problem. I was acctually more concerned with ender extending the axles (that they would be crushed together under full droop) But that dosnt seem to be a problem either.

I swapped the broken axle out this weekend and found that it shattered the inner cv cage. Like i had said in a previous post i think the axle was damaged when i got it. I had a clicking sound from that side from day one and with the new axle in it i dont have that click anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Found the coolest new wheeling spot! And it's not far from where we live...about 10mins down the road.

Fortunatlly my wonderfull girlfreind felt more comfortable out side the car taking pictures wile i attempted to roll it on large rocks, so she got a bunch of wheeling action photos.

1.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

That is CRAZY FREAKIN' SICK!!!!

I need to go back through its evolution to understand what all you did to get such crazy-strong torque and power through what looks like fairly stock machinery... Nice work and nice inspiration!!

2 thumbs WAY up