Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Missing oil cap noted today on a friends car... not a Subaru!

Until she gets a replacement, is there anything I should do? Rag in hole, wired tight? Run in circles scream and shout?

Until she gets a replacement, is there anything I should do? Rag in hole, wired tight? Run in circles scream and shout?

A rag is probably better than running in circles, screaming and shouting.

IMO.

Natan

I'd do both just to be safe.

From any movie I've seen, aluminum foil would be the way to go.

Ideally whatever keeps foreign matter from getting in there is good; you know bugs, mice, voles, etc.

Guess the question is how long are you anticipating no oil cap? My wife drove a 1000 miles without one,no harm no foul so far,luckily the cap was still sitting on the rad support right where she left it. I'd be more inclined to rubber band an aluminum made oil cap on with a couple of holes punched through if gonna wait between pay checks and stop and go,or watch one of them other movies where the subjects get the parts they need under gun and bruisers.

There are four more days this week to pick up the replacement cap from a dealer. It should be tomorrow's priority IMO.

Until then, I'd suggest a clean washcloth stretched over the filler and secured with a cable tie.