Ultimate Subaru Message Board

midengined RWD BRAT???

s'ko

AWD would be a nightmare to make work. 2WD is way easier. I think an auto would hold up just fine in a 1500 lb vehicle. And turbo, wheelies at every stoplight!

That's pretty much what I was originally thinking.

At this time, things have significantly changed in life and I really can't do something like this for quite a while.

This would a great father/offspring project. By then I am sure the will be all sorts of advances in powerplants and transmissions that will make an AWD mid engine BRAT possible.

i am kicking around the idea of an EG33 BRAT.:grin: The weight in front is kind of a concern but the power... oh the power....:slobber:

bw

Cable shifters are very sloppy just because thats the nature of cable. I wonder if solenoid shifter would work. Aside from no real feel it would simplify things.

nipper

our Eclipse had a cable shifter.....

it was nice and tight.

I say just put the stock motor behind the "cab" and the run a 2WD tranny and use the cv axles to power the rear wheels, I'm sure someone already had that idea though.... but it would be pretty cool!

The whole time I was reading this thread that was what i thought they would be doing, it seems like everyone else wants to over complicate it.

Shift linkages should be real easy to fabricate, and the best part, you could put a nice piece of sheet aluminum under the front and have something of a bow, Prerunner style. and if you wanted to get real creative even make it float.

The whole time I was reading this thread that was what i thought they would be doing, it seems like everyone else wants to over complicate it.

Shift linkages should be real easy to fabricate, and the best part, you could put a nice piece of sheet aluminum under the front and have something of a bow, Prerunner style. and if you wanted to get real creative even make it float.

Exactly what I was thinking! It really wouldn't be all that hard. with the right tools and some fab work

Hints of Topgear here.....

nipper

First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of Fabricating a Mid engined Brat and returning him safely to the Road. No single Subaru project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of Roads; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish. We propose to accelerate the development of the appropriate Road craft. We propose to develop alternate Engines, much larger than any now being developed, until certain which is superior.

Sorry, couldn't resist, Kennedy eat your heart out.

If someone has a FWD Impreza 2.2 and a Brat with a blown engine let me know, i could use a new project.

Noah, the original post was to share some observations that I made when I transported a EJ engine w/tranny attached to it. It was resting on the jump seat frame and the axles lined up nicely with the rear wheel.

Auto would be nice, but cable would be doable. Servos would be awesome. It's really not that hard to make a manual shift. There are basically two axis of motion. The shifter rod has to move forward and backwards and rotate clockwise and counterclockwise.

I have a bunch of stuff that I need to do before I can even conceive of beginning this project. I think that main this would be a house of my own so I can really work on it w/o my a landlord getting all POed at me.

I think one day, this will be a project that I will undertake. right now I have to get my house and thin out my soobie fleet b/c we are expecting a little bundle of joy. :banana:

BW

Mid engine is quite doable, A shaft shifter can be done but is a wee bit tricky since it has to get under the engine. Find the right legacy/impreza inner CV joints (22 spline) if you want to mate to the rear axles on the EA rear suspension. The trans is about 1 inch wider than the diff, which is absorbed by the CVs.

Attched is pic of buggy a helped a friend build last year using an EA82 engine. Very impressive traction for a 2wd vehicle, but still capable of powersliding.

post-7431-136027630256_thumb.jpg

Mid engine is quite doable, A shaft shifter can be done but is a wee bit tricky since it has to get under the engine. Find the right legacy/impreza inner CV joints (22 spline) if you want to mate to the rear axles on the EA rear suspension. The trans is about 1 inch wider than the diff, which is absorbed by the CVs.

Attched is pic of buggy a helped a friend build last year using an EA82 engine. Very impressive traction for a 2wd vehicle, but still capable of powersliding.

That buggy looks nice.

Where is the engine placement? Looks like it's tucked in between the seats.

BW

• 8 years later...

Hay All  Part 1

Well been interested in racing for along time and with the end of my sporting career i've had more

time to do a bit or racing.

I built a budget 1989 Honda xsi which now has a B16B block with B18CR crank rods and pistons

and skunk2 pro 1 race cams in it. 140 kw at wheels. Goes pretty good.

But now the classis I run in people have V8, turbo and big rotors with 300 hp + and bug buggets.

For me to run with them i'ld need to put a k20 for turbo and I only have a small budget to play with,

So spending $6000 on a k20 ain't worth it.

Or super/Turbo charging, big cams, then reliability problems.

Had a number of subs over the years, legacy, wrx, sti, and currently now 2010 sti coupe and 1998 forester.

So I got to thinking about subarus. Power, weight?

My brother managed to buy 3 brumby (brat to u guys) about 10 years ago.

One he has put a lift kit on it but the other 2, one was on a front and rear mount swivel stand and

the other was just sitting in a paddock.

So I asked him if I could have it.

Sweet, my new race car.

As its been sitting around for a while its got a bit of rust (a lot of rust)

So stripping out and looking at things I noticed the there wasn't a lot of room for a race seat and

a roll cage and with me being 6"3' it was a bit cramped.

So thing had to change.

So while looking around the net I stumbled across the form on this web site.

Why not mid mount the engine and even better mid mount the seating position. :D  :D 

So the project was started about a year ago.

Fixing rust, cutting the deck out and the tunnel.

(will post pictures when I figure how to)

Managed to get a damaged 1996 BG5 Subaru legacy Gt twin turbo with a big dent in the drivers door for $400.

Drives fine but its auto. (only driven on the farm)

Got a manual GTB box and BG5 ecu. $550

Pretty much to make things as easy as possible and as cheap as possible we decided to just use the

hole front cross member and see how it looked in the back. (tube setup would be the best $$$$$)

Not to bad, plenty of room between engine and fire wall.

Lucky the brumby has the cut out at the front part of the deck (pic to come) the cam belt cover fits in.

So a few mounts and stuff like that to be made.

How our experience is.

My brother used to be a panel beater (it would be very hard for me without him)

Me, well because we were brought up on a farm if you need some thing fixed or if we couldn't afford

something we would fix it or try to build it. Welder, grinder and a fffnn big hamer.

Well thats enough of a teaser for now.

Ill try and get some pictures up for you all to have a look at.

rear deck fixed and ready for test fit.

Test fit

Luck the brumby has a cut out just behind the firewall our the cam cover wouldn't fit.

We had to lift the back up and push the engine in from underneath.

The exhaust also will hit the rails either side of the of the car.