Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just broke 100K in my 2000 Outback Sport. 2.2L Manual. :headbang:

Still running strong. It consumes quite a bit of oil though. It just magically disappears. There are no drips in my drive way, and the exhaust vapor is pretty clear so it doesn’t appear to be burning it too significantly. ???? If I don’t add any by the end of 3k miles it isn’t even on the dip stick. Any suggestions?

Lastly, I know I have a timing belt replacement due at 105K... and I’ll do the water pump at that time too. Anything else I should do at that point?

Hi obskermit and congrats!

A common thing to check for mysterious oil consumption is PCV valve.

For the timing belt and water pump, also replace the geared/toothed timing belt idler near the water pump. At least inspect the other idlers and tensioner for wear/freeplay/etc for possible replacement. Front crank seal on oil pump, front cam seals, cam cap o-rings (assuming that year 2.2L still has them). Possibly reseal oil pump and replace discharge o-ring and while pump is out check rear case cover screws for backing out (was more a problem on earlier engines) and loctite them in.

Well if you've never replaced it just put on a new oem one; they're about $7. People tell me if you remove the old one and it rattles, it should be good. If it's all gunked up in there you can either replace it or some people try to clean them out. I believe on my soobs it takes a 22mm or if not available a 7/8" wrench to get it out.

Prolly a good idea to replace them on my 2 Subies. Where is it located on the 2.5 gen 1 motor? Thanks for any help!

X2 - Where will I find this?

I looked on line at Advance Auto and found them for about $4 i'll probably pick on up on the way home. Will i need any new hoses, or is it easier to remove then that stupid fuel filter!

Well i changed the PCV valve and fuel filter. The PCV was all rusty and gummy so im sure it needed to be changed.

From there i noticed an immediate improvement in idle (wasnt bad before but now its very smooth) and it feels a little peppier. We will see in a few weeks if it fixed the oil consumption problem.

Thanks for the advice..