Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 gl 4x4 's for under 400 bucks each

in the last two months im michigan i recently purchased two gl wagons 4x4 dual range. one for 330 bucks and one for 400 bucks , an 85 and an 86, in bolth cases the owners were women mid 30's good looking ,and bolth were professional nurses. they had taken their cars to their trusted mechanics, and bolth mechanics said that the cars were unsafe to drive.. because of rust on the frames. they also refused to even work on them. they werent even as bad as the gl sedan ive been driving for 4 years (55.000 miles ) my question is the two protruding square rails under the front of the vehicle, are these actually load bearing, my car holds perfect alighnment. the bumpers dont mount to it, the engine dosnt mount to them, nor does the transmission, they look to me to be suporting the floor pans, either way i have two awsome ea82 dual range perfect runners in my drive way now , courtesy of two hack mechanics. in my opinion

I wouldn't want the liability if I were a professional mechanic either. And frankly a good looking mid-30's nurse needs at least a Legacy. They make enough money....

As for the car - drive it till it snaps in half. That's what they do in Alaska. Usually it's the rear end that gets really bad and one way or another you lose the rear suspension. Either the whole suspension tube folds, or the rear coil-over punch through the wheel wells into the cabin. I've also heard of EA81's where the frame rails were gone like yours and the car folded in the middle where the B pillar is.... doors wouldn't close and the roof buckled.

GD

wow GD .. i dont think my car is that rusty, but ill driver till it snaps in deed. i have driven it hard on the trails. doors and all the other body lines look good, no other issues. ill have to go to the west cost and get a rust free body.. i do think nurses are hot. they seem to like subarus however, maby the'll like my lifted 85 with a desert camo scheme. it looks sexy to me anyway :headbang: