Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reverse switch or VSS?

I took a switch out of the rear of the transmission on the driver's side, and it has a black connector. I'm hoping it was the reverse switch, as my reverse lights don't work, but I'm also aware that it could be the VSS... It's rather tight in there, I'm not 100% sure what I pulled out... :confused:

TIA

Edit: Made it more serious in hopes of getting a response :(

ITs been below 40 and raining the last 2 days.

and well, I don't have any "Real" cold weather gear with me here currently, its all up in Michigan. :>(

so I wasn't into laying on cold cement in shorts and a wind breaker and looking at the 4EAT. hopefullt this weekend will be what its "threatening to become." WARM.

I do not want to come off as a smartarse, (too late I know)

but

people asking for help should atleast give a small decription of the unit they are working on. (a pet peeve I have about posting)

Is this a FT4EAT or a FT 10 speed RX tranny, or is it the tranny out of your new ML530?

I have a FSM and have been working on my 1989 FT4EAT but need alittle bit more info if you want help.

Again sorry to ask so many questions,

Mr. Smartarse

if I were to guess without any more info. I would look at the removed sensor for charicteristics like,does it have a "button" on the end that depresses like a rerverse switch switch would? one or two wire connecter? ( probably a reverse switch) or a 3+ wire connecter and no button that depresses.

go easy on jumpering wires together untill you know you have the propper ones in hand. some thing dont take kindly to jumpering all willy nilly. but old subarus are rather forgiving.

Ya gotta luv it. Russ said Willy Nilly

(I use the latin Willus Nillus) But what he is dead on.

If it is a VSS, the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) probably will not take kindly to having a dead short on a sensor input.

But you could try it and watch for smoke.

Can you tell us what color the wires are on this mystery connector? Or is it too tight?

I have a FSM and an 89 4EAT on the bench, if you could get a pict, I could see if it is on my unit.

Okay, sorry guys. This is a pushbutton 4WD manual 5-speed...

They're black wires, black coating and black soot... :lol:

The little plastic piece in the sensor spins in place and does not push in... sounds already like I pulled a VSS :banghead:

What sucks is, I had to cut the wire to get to the connector, so that sensor is gone... Hope it's not too pricey if it's a VSS :(

section 3-1 MT and diff page 59 fig.137

1.) (LH) side reverse lights

2.) (LH) Neutral safety switch

3.) (RH) Diff lock pilot switch (Directly bellow the arm on the pass. side)

these all apear to be 2 wire connections .... now to figure out what the connector is in the rear of the tranny (not the sides)

it may be the VSS?

Still looking in the FSM of the section 2 and 3 manualfor specific info but not yet found...

Trogdor is now telling me there's no VSS, only a very thick cable that I could not just snip... so it's not that...

I don't know if I have a neutral safety switch, since I can start it in Neutral with the clutch engaged and I don't have cruise...

There's the 4WD switch too...

Oh well, I 'll be at the dealer tomorrow, I'll figure out what's what...

the neutral safety switch I will pose this question to the masses...... is not just for breakfast anymore....... What mean is; that its also a part of other curcuits of oporation, think about this idea:

cruise control. If there wasn't a sensor that showed the cruise the clutch was ingauged then its not gonna engauge the cruise throttle control, same goes if its not in gear so if its in neutral then the curcuit is also used for that too. Anyone else think that this is also feasible?