Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Misfire Problem

EVOthis

my fault.......the engine is a 2.2 Liter in a 1996 Legacy I found out the valves were good with a vacuum test, compression test, and i removed the downpipes and looked up into the heads.....i figured if the guides werent good than you wouldnt get a proper seal in the combustion chamber.....The engine is in one piece i just want to figure out what else i can check until i started digging into the internals. The car starts and runs great....the only time that i get the "MIL" is when im at idle also that is the only time that the misfire is heard . ( i hooked up my scan tool to it and every time i have cleared the code i look at the freeze frame data it always occurs around 500-1000 RPM)

I would check it over well for a vacum leak. With the engine running at idle spray around the intake and hoses with some carb cleaner and see if the idle changes. If that's good try moving the injector on the cylinder that missfires to another cylinder and see if the miss follows the injector.

I will give that a try tomarrow....that sounds like a smart idea.....Every time i plug the scanner in though it comes up with the same code P0302 which is cylinder #2.

Would be interesting to see what happens to #4

Could be as simple as a cracked coil tower.

nipper

Would be interesting to see what happens to #4

Could be as simple as a cracked coil tower.

nipper

well i tested the coil pack and the resistances were correct.... primary and secondary. someone told me that the IAC could cause something like this it it is like clogged or dirty.....they said it would like shut off a cylinder to maintain proper idle....have you ever heard of anything like that?

well i tested the coil pack and the resistances were correct.... primary and secondary. someone told me that the IAC could cause something like this it it is like clogged or dirty.....they said it would like shut off a cylinder to maintain proper idle....have you ever heard of anything like that?

It shuts off #1 cylinder.

Your over thinking what im saying.

Its a physical hairline crack in the coil tower.

Another test. With the engine running, wet the coil, wires, with a mist of water. This is best done in the evening. Look for blue sparks.

nipper