Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know I've seen something about this before, but I can't seem to find the info in a search.

Car: 96 Legacy Outback, 2.2L, 5MT

Problem: Driving around, turn on the AC, I hear a high-pitched whining noise. Then, whenever I hit the brakes, the dash lights and stereo go out, ever so briefly. Could it be the ALT? I would hate to think so because I just had it replaced a couple of years ago. Can they go bad in such a brief time? This only happens after I turn on the AC (this time of year it's infrequent, of course, but I occasionally use it to help defog the inside of the windshield).

I did have a similar problem recently, but found it to be a short in a ground wire. However, when it happened then, not only did the dash and stereo go out when I hit the brakes, but the entire car shut off and all the dash lights came on.

Thanks!

It's weird. I just went out to go to the store and the car wouldn't start at all. No clicking or anything when I turned the key. No electricity anywhere. I opened the hood and looked for any loose wires and didn't see anything, but I noticed a lot of corrosion on the positive battery terminal. I brushed a bunch of the crud off and suddenly the dome light came on and the I was able to start it right up. Drove it to the store and tried the "hit the brakes, turn off the stereo" thing, and it didn't do it.

Coincidence?

Oh, since the power failed, the flashy flashy thing is going on and I don't have the wireless key fob. I recall a technique involving pushing the black button on the wireless entry system's black box - I've done it before, but I think I forgot the procedure. I'll search for it, but if anyone responds between now and then with THAT info at hand, that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ha! Turn the key, push the black button hanging from the keyless entry system, locks cycle 3 times, all is hunky dorey. I thought that was right, and it was. Trouble is, one of the wires coming from the button was broken off, so it wasn't doing anything. A little slicing and splicing, and all is well.

Dang this 12 year old car. :(

Thanks for the help. I will certainly take the thing in to a shop and have the alrt checked, though. Just to be sure.

*Edit* Don't know why my head kept wanting to type "wireless" entry system.