Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve cover gasket leak

Hey all,

Got an oil leak at the valve cover gasket on my EA-81 hatch. It isn't real bad yet, but I would like to take care of the problem before it gets worse. Has anyone used high-temp Permatex on the valve cover gasket to fix the leak? Wasn't sure how well this would work on a gasket that is likely saturated with oil. Thanks for your help...

best bet is to get a valve cover gasket set. the ones that come with new grommets are nice. the grommets can leak as well, best to replace them while you're in there. they are $2.00+ EACH from Subaru, best to get a kit that has the gaskets and grommets (i think Fel-Pro usually has it all).

i would not use sealant on the valve cover gaskets, it might work, but if it doesn't it's annoying to clean up out of the grooves...oh i'm speaking from EA82 experience the EA81 may differ with the groove? another problem with old valve cover gaskets is they easily break, i would not consider a used one a very good base to cover with sealant.

oh i'm speaking from EA82 experience the EA81 may differ with the groove?

EA81 gaskets are cork, and the valve covers are steel. There is no groove at all. It's completely unlike any later engine design being that they are not overhead cam.

Think of them as a smaller, but thicker version of the oil pan gasket, but without the bolt holes.

GD