Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Bro's 4-Runner

Phizinza

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the bro's Toyota 4-Runner.

It's on 35x12.5 MickyT's. Running just the little 2.4 diesel. Resently got a new rear bumper plus longer shackles and lost two leafs from each pack in the rear to loosen her up.

It's got front and rear auto lockers. And the one of the next things for it is a second low range, got the casing parts, just need that little kit.

Anyhow, heres the pictures.

4runner_rear_22_nov.jpg

4runner_front_22_nov.jpg

Yeah, pitty you got non of the awesome diesels. I'm looking at getting a late 4-runner with the 3L turbo diesel.

Heres a new picture, some spotties and recovery hooks, plus a view of the winch. Still needs to find a place for the number plate.

4runner_bumper_22_nov.jpg

Yeah, thats one of my favorite topgear clips.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice rig! I would love to get my greasy paws on one of those 'Yota diesel motors...(we don't have them in the US, in case you didn't know)

Did anyone see that Toyota on Top Gear that they thrashed beyond all reason? It ran and ran and ran...pretty amazing.

Yeah we did, but only for like, 2 years I think, in the early 80s, and not very common. The newer turbodiesel motors are available from Japan, and are a pretty easy swap.

• 5 months later...

Well, we've got a turbo on it now, no exhaust hooked up yet and the current down pipe is in the way of the front prop shaft. His installing a 10degree clocked Marlin second low range atm. Its got a front anti sway bar to make it acutally drivable on the road, quick disconnects will come soon.

Due to the antisway bar the bullbar had to go, but a custom tube bar will be in the making soon as well. Still has the winch, but the bracket was hacked a little to increase approch angle. I'll get back with some pics soonish.

With the second 2.28 to 1 low range and the turbo I dont think he'll need anything else. Just some time to go out and have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C6C8BF470CFB22AF

Theres a link to all the videos I have of his truck on youtube.

• 4 weeks later...

Took it for a test drive without exhuast and with the second low range. He done the propshafts himself and done a good job. No wobbles on the rear one and only a little wobble at 80kph or more on the front. But with 2 auto lockers any more then about 40kph is unsafe in 4WD.

He got a PLX pyro gauge, its sweet. Changed some timing on the fuel pump and it gets around 500 to 700 degrees fahrenheit under load and goes down to about 200 idle. Although all that means nothing to you poor petrol guys.

He used a tank out of my old Range Rover (82 litre) where the spare wheel goes normally and removed the old tank because it got hung up on it too much before.

He also painted the roof and hood white, to be different. The barwork including rock sliders will be white as well.

Installed a Range Rover York aircon pump for an air compressor. At 1400rpm it pumps up his 35" from nothing to 30psi in about a minute and a half.

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02059.jpg

image.php?AttachmentID=317

image.php?AttachmentID=318

image.php?AttachmentID=319

image.php?AttachmentID=320

• 3 weeks later...

Rubs on the front springs at full lock (which his limited a bit as well). No other rubbing to worry about other then that.

He beat the wheel wells in a LOT. In the front behind the tyres it went in about 2.5". We ended up using what us Australians call a crow bar (5ft long inch thick bar with a point at one end a a big flat bit at the other (haven't see anything like it in the US so I thought I'd explain).

Its already way illegal, but he still isn't going to lift it anymore because it doesn't need it. Also he isn't too happy on angles so he likes to keep the CG low. Once he gets the custom transfer case mount done it will have a tonne of clearence we reckon. Then the rock sliders are on the way.

Yeah, after being in a Subaru I freak out a bit in toyotas.

When he got the 4runner it had 2" lift springs. It was a hard ride so he made 3" longer rear shackles and took two leafs out of the rear. Now the rear sits slightly higher. It still sits a little higher then most other 4runners around but we think its pretty much stock height now.

Gonna have to get some videos of this truck, but for now everyone will just have to trust me its a monster. Haven't seen a truck that beats it in mud or rocks yet. In person that is, obviously there are some crazy trucks out there but around here its pretty tame.

Lockers FTW. Thats the major thing this yota makes clear.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So a few weeks back my brother bought this 105 series LC

06062009-1.jpg

It had 3" lifted rear springs, no working heater, CEL, and a few more electrical problems.

He got some 3" lifted front springs, put them in and found the anti-sway bar rubbed on the front prop. Fixed that with some 2" blocks dropping the bars mounts. He also fitted caster adjusted plates. Then he found the front prop was making a hell of a racket and wobbling lots. So he bought a Hilux shaft with a double-cardan joint and made a custom front shaft for the cruiser. Still balancing it but its pretty close.

We fixed the heater by removing the dash and replacing the servo motors which control the vents. Looks like this car went through a flood as there was heaps of corrosion on most of the plugs and thats probably why a lot of the electrical stuff doesn't work. Anyhow got it all back together and now the aircon won't turn on. Luckily we're in winter right now so don't need that for a while.

He also painted the bullbar, fitted some 220mm bull lamps and a 12000lb winch with dynarope.

Then we took it to the LPG fitters to get a new Vapour Injection LPG fitted. So now its cheaper to drive then my Subaru... But it will take 2 years to pay for itself.

Plans are to buy some 33x12.5 Micky T ATZ's, roof rack, and a new exhaust.

EDIT: oh and spot the subaru part of that pic :)