Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Green Mountain

SOOBOUTLAW

Took the Brat up to Green Mountain, up the Mountain Loop. Took the right fork, FS road 4110 up to the ridge of Green Mountain (not the summit), climbed up to a peak which had almost 360* view. Mt. Pilchuck to the south, Three Fingers to the north, could see the Puget Sound and the islands, even Seattle skyline. Cold and icy, there was a few inches of snow, bout 3k elevation. On the way down, I decided to do a little wheelin on a trail which FS dug several trenches in the trail, I got through about five of those trenches, the last one was a little too off camber for my stock suspension and body Brat. Buddy in a Pathfinder had no problem getting through the stuff though. But, he had to make a multipoint turnaround while the Brat, with primary front wheel drive, turned around piece of cake. I'll go up that trail again when I get the wagon back together (3+" lift, M/T, welded diff, trimmed body). It's a nice place to wheel a Subaru out there. Been going up there quite a bit lately. Lots of roads and trails to explore. Great camping too. Beware of Sasquatch though, he likes to throw rocks at ya and break branches to try to scare you off.

Beware of Sasquatch though, he likes to throw rocks at ya and break branches to try to scare you off.

Yeah that's how I got all the dents in my hatchback. Dang wookiees.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't been up those Green Mountain roads. If the snow level still hasn't come down too low, I'd like to do a trip up that way between Xmas and New Years. Do you think there'd be enough stuff to explore at that time to make the trip worth while or should it just wait 'till spring?

I like how things up that way are more laid back than in terms of the FS closing off every last turn off and washed out old road. Along I-90 and Hwy2 the FS has every last turn off blocked by an impassible trench and/or mountain of rocks and logs. They've so restricted access that if there isn't a major hiking trail up the road, the gate is locked and you'd better watch how you drive or they'll nail you for speeding or anything else they can get you for. The rangers are now gun toting cops with attitudes. The best thing about the Mt Loop though is that for the most part it's just not as heavily visited by urban yuppie folks.

Next summer I want to explore the Suiattle River area north of Darrington. Looks like a lot of cool terrain up there and there should be good views of Glacier Peak and the N Cascades.