Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 or 96 Sedan/need help Identifying Rear diff

I was at the junkyard today. While there I came across a 95 or 96 Legacy sedan, automatic. What i strange is that It had a rear Diff I've never seen. It did not have the star pattern, bolted on bearing caps. It had screw in caps much like those on the front Diff(trans). Adding more confusion it had a finned rear cover, like an aftermarket thing but it had Fuji stickers. 2 small ones, one center and one on the edge of the cover. Not the Usual silver sticker with the Gear ratio on it. Different. One is a bar code label with a string of # under, ----2461, the first 4 # are unreadable. The second sticker was something like "VAX1FET13" Wish I had taken a pic.

Does anyone know what this diff is? Is it VLSD? It acted like an Open diff when I spun it (oppostie rotaion of wheel), but A VLSD would act like that until some heat from slipping, correct? Any idea?

The difff with the fins was probably a 99 model . see attached

Top diagram is up to 98

Lower diagram is 99 and newer

SEA#3

Looks like the 99 and up diagrahm. I'm pretty damn sure it's the 4.11 ratio AT one. Sticker looks just like the one on the diff.

I think it was swapped into the car. L trim level sedan. It could have been a 99 but definately not newer, it was for sure a 95-99 body style.

So now the question is, would this be a VLSD?

Looks like the 99 and up diagrahm. I'm pretty damn sure it's the 4.11 ratio AT one. Sticker looks just like the one on the diff.

I think it was swapped into the car. L trim level sedan. It could have been a 99 but definately not newer, it was for sure a 95-99 body style.

So now the question is, would this be a VLSD?

No it's not VLSD. I have a VLSD diff and when I spin the input both output shafts turn in the same direction. Turning one output shaft while holding the input shaft will cause the other output shaft to turn in the same direction.

Look on the VIN plate mounted in the engine compartment (driver's side top of the fender well) and write down the transmission number. Google that number and hope something comes up; it should tell you the transmission type, ratios, and rear ratio. There's a link in the USRM that gives that type of information for manual gearboxes. With luck you can find similar info on automatic transmissions.

<<So now the question is, would this be a VLSD?>>

no, LSD's went out in 1991 and came back in 2000

And the chart SEA #3 provided says this could be a 2000 or newer. It would have had to have been swapped into the car, but I saw other signs of "performance" rear end work (camber adjusters, and coilovers) so maybe this has been swapped?

And the chart SEA #3 provided says this could be a 2000 or newer. It would have had to have been swapped into the car, but I saw other signs of "performance" rear end work (camber adjusters, and coilovers) so maybe this has been swapped?

^^^

That's the kind of information that's important to reveal.

You noticed that the car has had some modification....you should have told us! :)

That's the kind of information that's important to reveal.

You noticed that the car has had some modification....you should have told us!

Well, I didn't mention the Modifications, but I did say this:

Pretty sure it was swapped, cause I don't think it was a '99 and definately not a 2000.

<<Wait. I've seen SVXs at the Junkyard that had Viscous LSDs. And surely it was optional on Turbo Legacys and GTs and Impreza RSs?>>

yeah, the SVX's had them. they had the 3:54 though, so they wouldn't fit anyway.

Not available on any other models????

A far as Ratio, I want to end up at 3.9 to use with a EA82 D/R. Possible to convert? Using ring and pinion from early Legacy? (Some of those where 3.9)

Not available on any other models????

A far as Ratio, I want to end up at 3.9 to use with a EA82 D/R. Possible to convert? Using ring and pinion from early Legacy? (Some of those where 3.9)

lot's of early 90s legacy manuals were 3.9.

all legacy 2.2 manuals 97 - 98 were 3.9.

an i'm almoe positive, that the 95 - 96 leg 2.2 manual was 3.9.

i take it what you really want is a lsd 3.9...