Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower Motor

My blower motor is on the fritz. I said before i was going to take it apart and see what the deal was because it was whirling alittle loud and airflow was not that great. Well it has replaced the loud whirling with a even louder screeching. Im assumeing its going out, so my question is this.

Since living in iowa the subaru stockpile isnt that great i have a couple choices.

Buy from parts store but i have no idea how costly this will be.

Find an old used one from someone here.

Or do i take it apart greese the hell out of it and hope for the best.

It does still currently work though but the screeching is unbearable and its iowa and almost december so its coooold

Ben

there are only 3 bolts holding it in there - pull it out and see what you can. may just need a good cleaning out - dust, dirt, rodent presents, etc

new ones are listed for $57.48 & up on the Parts America website (Advance Auto, Schucks, Checker, Kragen stores) and that is without the cage on it - the motor only....

I am sure that if you post in the parts wanted area you could get a decent used one pretty cheap - may even be able to come up with one here - we still have a couple of parts cars left...

btw - did you ever get that front end sorted out?? I hope so.

I had a similar problem when I first put my '86 wagon on the road (last August). I found that mice had built a huge nest in the air plenium under the wipers & every time I turned the blower on high, it sucked in some more of the nest. Step 1 is to check that plenum & make sure it's cleaned out.

As has already been suggested, take out the 3 philips screws & remove the blower motor. (you'll need to remove the plastic shield across the lower dash to get at it). There are 2 plugs to undo & the blower assembly sorta comes right out (with a bit of finagling). The plate that controls the speeds is attached to the very bottom screw & you'll have to wiggle it past that during removal & re-assembly

The motor really doesn't come apart, but you can get an oil needle to the bearings. Top is simple - just remove the squirrel cage. You can get to the bottom bearing throught the hole where the rubber tube from the air box goes in. (Be sure to re-connect that rubber tube during reassembly - your blower motor will burn up if it's not cooled) Use oil wth PTFE or Moly

If oiling fails to resussitate the motor, check junkyards. I found that a mid

'80s Toyota Corolla blower motor fit my Suby perfectly - it even used the same female plug.

While your blower assembly is out, this is a good time to clean out your heater or A/C. Put a curved piece of 3/4" heater hose on the end of your vacuum cleaner hose & stick it (gently) into the area that accepts the air pressure from the blower. I was able to vacuum pine needles, leaves, & tons of mouse nest crap out of mine. This action restored air flow through the system (and we all know how marginal an '8os Suby A/C is on a 90 plus degree day).

Hope my experience will be helpful. Good luck!

ScottG

there are only 3 bolts holding it in there - pull it out and see what you can. may just need a good cleaning out - dust, dirt, rodent presents, etc

new ones are listed for $57.48 & up on the Parts America website (Advance Auto, Schucks, Checker, Kragen stores) and that is without the cage on it - the motor only....

I am sure that if you post in the parts wanted area you could get a decent used one pretty cheap - may even be able to come up with one here - we still have a couple of parts cars left...

btw - did you ever get that front end sorted out?? I hope so.

The front end has not been sorted out yet. Ive been just bideing my time and staying off the freeway not driving it other then to work. I should be getting some money for christmas so ill be buying all the parts i need. Maybe i can convince a certain iowa brat guy to possibly help me sort out my cvshaft, wheel bearing, ball joint issue.:grin:

Ben

The front end has not been sorted out yet. Ive been just bideing my time and staying off the freeway not driving it other then to work. I should be getting some money for christmas so ill be buying all the parts i need. Maybe i can convince a certain iowa brat guy to possibly help me sort out my cvshaft, wheel bearing, ball joint issue.:grin:

Ben

Now there is a BIG hint ;)

I hope you can get it sorted out very soon - kinda worried about you driving that thing in it's current condition, especially with the nasty weather coming in - if we were closer i would be helping you out NOW! I have a garage, the tools, some of the parts and the know how - just too darn far away! :banghead:

Now there is a BIG hint ;)

I hope you can get it sorted out very soon - kinda worried about you driving that thing in it's current condition, especially with the nasty weather coming in - if we were closer i would be helping you out NOW! I have a garage, the tools, some of the parts and the know how - just too darn far away! :banghead:

well like i said i have been a good boy and kept driveing to a minimum and off the freeway. I guess i just dont have a choice when it comes do needing my car.

I apreciate the offer though means a lot. And i think i will take you up on your previous offer but since i live in an apartment maybe we can arrange you to send it to mcbrats house. I have some parts i need to pick up over there anyways. Would half to clear it through him first.

ben