Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How's Your Hill Holder?

Mine gave up the ghost on my '86 GL 4 x4 carbed wagon years ago. I was wondering if anyone has had luck adjusting them (my Haynes, or maybe it's my Chilton's, indicates that they can be adjusted), or do they usually need to be replaced when they stop working?

Subarule

Out of the 5 'Rus I've owned, all worked. The old '86 BRAT leaked some, current '86 BRAT worked to good when I 1st got it.

I have a couple extra HH valves here, one EA-81, one EA-82. Not sure of differences between them, but if someone should want one, send me a PM.

84 hatch, disconnected back in '94 as it leaks when in use, otherwise would still work if hooked up. I have heard they are re-sealable but don't want to go there. I was also told that thirteen years ago, parts may be an issue now.

Lewis

Guess I need to get mine operational again. I do have a need for it fairly often. I'm good with the clutch and all that, but if the car has a Hill Holder might as well use it.

Doesn't sound difficult to get it going. Just didn't want to have to buy a new replacement.

Thanks.

Subarule

Not too many hills in Texas, eh? :)

Subarule

Thankfully, no. Thats part of the reason I haven't worried about the fact that none of my hill holders haven't worked.

Guess I need to get mine operational again. I do have a need for it fairly often.

Oh- - BTW, I spent 28 years in western WA. None of my hill holders worked there either. ;)

Thankfully, no. Thats part of the reason I haven't worried about the fact that none of my hill holders haven't worked.

Oh- - BTW, I spent 28 years in western WA. None of my hill holders worked there either. ;)

???? I;ve never had one NOT work? They are easy to adjust. Calebz, I;m sure you know this, but the brake does need to be pushed down really firmly while the clutch is in to set it with enough forcef for the hill holder to work. Remember, it is only holding the pressure in the Left front brake line(one wheel locked). So you need to push approx 4 times the force that it takes to keep the car from rolling with you're foot on the brake(4 wheels locked).

Mine works good, and never gets in the way, but is a leaker. (I should buy stock in a good brake fluid manufacturer, get some of my money back) :lol:

Hill holders are easy to repair....just replace the o-rings inside. Just make sure you use o-rings that are compatible with brake fluid. If I remember right, Viton o-rings are what I used 8 years ago and still not leaking.

EDIT: Just checked...Do NOT use Viton. Viton isn't compatible with brake fluid. I used EPDM o-rings as it is compatible with brake fluid.

???? I;ve never had one NOT work? They are easy to adjust. Calebz, I;m sure you know this, but the brake does need to be pushed down really firmly while the clutch is in to set it with enough forcef for the hill holder to work. Remember, it is only holding the pressure in the Left front brake line(one wheel locked). So you need to push approx 4 times the force that it takes to keep the car from rolling with you're foot on the brake(4 wheels locked).

Quite aware, thanks ;)

That's weird because I've never had one that didn't "function". All of them but the one on my off-roader (dangerous on that one) I have properly adjusted and they have worked fine. Even the one on my 94 Legacy works good.

Never had one leak either, but I've heard of it happening. Probably old, nasty fluid.

GD

Remember, it is only holding the pressure in the Left front brake line(one wheel locked). So you need to push approx 4 times the force that it takes to keep the car from rolling with you're foot on the brake(4 wheels locked).

I always thought it held left front and right rear as they're on the same circuit. Wish I could test it, but i have no more working roos to mess with. When both of mine did run, the HH worked great.

I always thought it held left front and right rear as they're on the same circuit. Wish I could test it, but i have no more working roos to mess with. When both of mine did run, the HH worked great.

That's the way my BRATs are plumbed. When I 1st got the current '86 BRAT, it would drag the right rear until the clutch was fully released, if I stopped on a hill. Little bit of adjusting, and it's all better now.

Hello All. I'm really glad to have found this community! I love my car and hope to keep it rolling as long as I can...

My Hill Holder works really, really well and, so far, no leaks! Cant say that for the rest of her but with 230.000 miles on the clock that's to be expected.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all.:)

Tide