Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Tire Suggestion 205/70R15

you should have no problem fitting the BF Goodrich Long trail 205/75r15 on your Forester. I ran 205/75r15 Coopers Discoverers for a long time with no issues. Don't go any taller than 205/75r15 or you'll probably won't have enough clearence between the top of the rear tire and strut. But that can be solved with customized strut lift.

Originally posted by Forester_Ranger

you should have no problem fitting the BF Goodrich Long trail 205/75r15 on your Forester. I ran 205/75r15 Coopers Discoverers for a long time with no issues. Don't go any taller than 205/75r15 or you'll probably won't have enough clearence between the top of the rear tire and strut. But that can be solved with customized strut lift.

To keep everything simple I'm sticking with the original size.

~Howard

:banana:

While we're talking tires, I have a 98 O/B

which is new to me. It of course has AWD. The question is, do I replace all four at once, as in other 4X4's? Or can I

replace the two bad tires I have. One has a cut in the sidewall and another just leaks.(picked up a large screw.) They all are in good shape with 3/4 tread.

As per Subaru's instructions, tires are to be within 1/4" on the circumference. That amounts to just 1mm (sorry for mixed units) of tread depth variation.

If you have a couple of good tires, you could see if anyone can shave new ones for you to bring them down to match. I don't know the cost of that, or how readily you could find the service. And I probably wouldn't bother if the old ones are more than a year or 2 old. Rubber ages, etc.

Commuter

Originally posted by Dr Farco

While we're talking tires, I have a 98 O/B

which is new to me. It of course has AWD. The question is, do I replace all four at once, as in other 4X4's? Or can I

replace the two bad tires I have. One has a cut in the sidewall and another just leaks.(picked up a large screw.) They all are in good shape with 3/4 tread.

I would not fool around with the old tires or shaving the new ones. I'd just replace all four.

~Howard

Originally posted by howards11

To keep everything simple I'm sticking with the original size.

~Howard

From what I've seen on the BF Website. the long trail doesn't come in your original size. Your Forester came with a 70 series and the closest Long Trail to your size is a 75 series. which is a taller tire than your orginal.

Originally posted by Forester_Ranger

From what I've seen on the BF Website. the long trail doesn't come in your original size. Your Forester came with a 70 series and the closest Long Trail to your size is a 75 series. which is a taller tire than your orginal.

I don't know where you have been looking but the Long Trail do come in 205/70R15. However two tire dealers in my area told me that the factory is backordered until Feb. 2004. I needed tires ASAP as the original Duelers were not giving me any traction in a recent 2" snow (I had no problems DRIVING. STOPPING was another story.).

I settled for Bridgestone Turanza LS-T in a P205/70R15. These Bridgestones had a very nice review at tirerack.com.

The dealer suggested running them @ 35 PSI.

~Howard