Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am riding Winterforce M&S on my 2001 Forester and they easily handled the 8" of global warming that got dumped on us last night in Boston. The problem is not you and your 4wd car if it rolls fine, the problem is that every 3rd wurld cab driver around Boston has rear wheel drive and bald tires....so they clog up every intersection, and you go nowhere. Took me an hour to cover about 6 miles to get home.

Thanks for the responses. After wading through interminable reviews and visiting a number of shops finally settled on the Michelin X Radial DTs from Costco. These were rated #2 in class by Consumer Reports a couple of years ago.

The top-of-the-line Goodyear Triple Treds and the Michelin Hydro-Edge are slightly better in terms of bad weather performance, but being a "moderate" driver, I don't feel I need "outstanding" capabilities. Also, because of closer traction, both have higher "rolling resistance", leading to lower m.p.g. With gas prices the way they are...

In comparison to tires like the Yokohamas and Kumhos, the X Radials are also have an 80,000 mile warranty, and if the performance of the original Mich XW4s is anything to go by, I'll get my money's worth there. Only one set of incidental costs - valves, balance, alignment, disposal, tax (plus your time) - every 80K makes up for the sticker price difference.

If the reviews had been better I would have gone with Bf Goodrich Long Trails, the only tire available with raised white lettering , which I like because it's a sporty look. Too many blow-out scare-stories though.

While everything can sound good on paper, one needs the real world to confirm a decision. Yesterday night we had 3 to 4 inches of ice pellets dumped in our area. Went into the mush in the Subie and tried to have some fun - accelerated into sharp turns, hit the brakes, tried to slide and fishtail - but the car just squatted and tracked. No fun, but it felt like the car and tires were made for each other. I am very satisfied with my choice.

(BTW, for those who don't know, Tirerack.com is the place to go to read user reviews about tires. It was very helpful in coming to a decision.)

• 2 weeks later...

hi

just replaced my 1999 forester's 205x70x15 yokohama geolandar at2 tires after 3 years and 100,000 km, and a lot of satisfaction, with yokohama geolandar ats.

the new yokohamas feels softer ank stickier, and according to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

they are better in all parameters except ice traction.

but no. 1 according to tirerack servey is pirelli scorpion atr, and there is also 205x70x15 of that tire (not in israel).

so...

Online reviews of the Long Trails vary wildly, from really bad to really good. Anybody have OBW experience with these?

Hey, usaru, I saw that you already bought the Michelins, but thought I'd give my experience for anyone else still looking. I had a set of Long Trail T/As as OEM on my Toyota Tacoma in '01 (farm pickup). They were nice on the highway (reasonably quiet, reasonably smooth), but were not good in the mud or snow. I'd trade off the smoothness for the traction of All-Terrain T/A KOs on a farm pickup or my Baja, but a pavement Outback would probably do very nicely with them.