Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speakers

I have an 88 dl wagon and was wondering if anyone had tried putting 6.9 speakers in the rear hatch. The only reason i ask is because ihave a set of 6x9s now. I know about rewireing. The speakers in my car now are awful and would like some better sound with what ive got. Someone has already cut out holes for 61/2s in the rear hatch.

Ben

I have an 88 dl wagon and was wondering if anyone had tried putting 6.9 speakers in the rear hatch. The only reason i ask is because ihave a set of 6x9s now. I know about rewireing. The speakers in my car now are awful and would like some better sound with what ive got. Someone has already cut out holes for 61/2s in the rear hatch.

Ben

I have looked at it a couple times.

I think to do it right, you would have to use some reasonably slim speakers. Additionally, you would have to be willing to cut some holes in the metal behind the plastic trim. Might even require some minor fabrication if you are one of those people that wants it 'just right'.

I am one of those people. Thats why I haven't it done it yet. ;)

yea my struts arent that good so it wont hold up. I am curious as to if anyone even has the speakers in there rear hatch and if they sound ok. I dont mind rewireing i guess just wanting to see some results.

I think im going on ebay and getting some cerwin vegas. Say what you want but i had a pair of these in my eagle talon and they sounded great. Seem to have alittle more lows. But then again it will be a while before i can get anything.

Ben

had thought about doing it on the GL - but decided not to - added weight, wiring considerations, etc...picked up a cheap pair of 6x9 speaker boxes, ran the new wire under the carpet and set the boxes behind the rear wheel wells. worked nice unless you went ripping around a corner too hard! LOL then they wanted to slide or roll over...

had thought about doing it on the GL - but decided not to - added weight, wiring considerations, etc...picked up a cheap pair of 6x9 speaker boxes, ran the new wire under the carpet and set the boxes behind the rear wheel wells. worked nice unless you went ripping around a corner too hard! LOL then they wanted to slide or roll over...

Try some velcro..it works wonders..

Didn't you read the thread?:confused: I have them in my Loyale and they sound really good. Far better than 6x9 boxes ever could, believe me I've had those in my boat with Cerwin Vega 3 ways and they sounded terrible. I now have ************ey Sony 3 ways (and a crappy Sony head unit) and they sound much better than the Cerwins did. You need more volume in the box than a 6x9 box can offer. Plus, hatch mounted speakers don't take up luggage space and they don't bouce around. My struts suck too, I use an old gasket scraper to prop up my hatch; it will work fine until I get new struts. You could even use a stick off of the ground...I did for a while.:)

Don't.

You'd have them sticking out of the hatch.

You'd have to build something into the hatch to receive them.

You'd ram things into them while transporting things in your car or while "camping" :brow:.

You wouldn't be able to hear them if you have stuff in the back of your car.

It would be a pain in the butt to wire them.

They'll add weight to the hatch when it's open.

It would be somewhat easier, and much more useful, to mount them in the upper rear corners of the wagon. The wiring will be a little simpler and you can mount right to the frame of the car if you drill pilot holes and use self-tapping screws.

I'd also suggest some quality 5x7s or something smaller-ish to save space. If you plan to install an amp, that would be able to make up for the smaller size.

First, though, put better speakers in the doors - I have 6 (or 6.5, can't remember) inch speakers in all 4 doors. You'll have to get creative with the door panels in the rear IIRC, but it's not hard. I still have the stock tape deck in my wagon and it sounds OK with good speakers.

so your saying that subaru never intended on speakers being in the hatch of a wagon.

Well that fine but the previous owner before my family had some installed in there. Cut holes through the plastic and everything. The wireing is currently there as well. I took apart the rear door panel to bang out a dent and i saw the space for speakers but i dont recall seing any slits through the actual door pannel itself. If i do get this it will be a christmas present so i guess doesnt matter about speaker kind or size.

I just wanted to put them in the hatch because the setup is already there.

Ben

I put 6" speakers (Sony Explode) in the hatch of an 84 wagon (EA81) They sounded great and looked good. This was before I was on the message board so sorry no pics. The hatch struts were already done for, so I was using a broomstick. Can't tell you if that small amount of weight would affect the hatch.