Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual throttle cable question

how would i get two carburetors to open at the same time with cables, and not linkages. i've seen old honda motorcycles, where a single throttle cable splits into two, to run two carbs.

are there any cars that run like this? 280z maybe? im putting two side drafts into a car and this is a small stumbling block. any ideas?

Yeah,dont use carbs!!

And no,z cars use linkage.

what about the ones that had SU carbs, i know they were cable controlled. and carbs will kick efis rump roast any day of the week :headbang:

thanks subiemech85, i was thinking about somwthing like that, but im getting tired of building every piece on my car, and was hoping there was an easy solution i could buy... and i was hoping it was cheap too =]

and carbs will kick efis rump roast any day of the week

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hmmm...how about that day of the week when you at a fourty five degree angle,or that day of the week when it is cold,or that day of the week when you want your car to start like it should.

Oh yea and your thinking of the 240-260z not the 280 which was efi...(good thing lol).and even the multi carb setups had a solid linkage with little ball and socket joints.

A bicycle store will become your friend. There you will find all manner of cables, solder-on cable ends, and cable adjusters, to make almost anything you want to dream up, work.

Let's stop to consider that motorcycle manufacturers only went to FI when they had to meet emissions, not before.

The main reason I figure cars got away from multi carb set-ups was that the average mechanic couldn't get them to work. And we must *remember* the first production N. America FI set-up was an absolute pig (found on the Corvette).

For a daily driver I don't *think* you can beat FI, but for "toys", you have lots of time to "play".

And we must *remember* the first production N. America FI set-up was an absolute pig (found on the Corvette).

Their second attempt (cross-fire injection) sucked as well. They pretty much started to get the hang of fuel injection once Tuned port injection came out but there was still loads of room for improvement. End hijack

i always likes vws mechanical fuel injection. just something cool about tweed lines runing all around your engine.

i've never had a carb strand me, but efi has screwed me a number of times. i guess if i was driving newer vehicles, the old wires and sensors would not be an issue. but when that stuff is 20+years old...

i always likes vws mechanical fuel injection. just something cool about tweed lines runing all around your engine.

i've never had a carb strand me, but efi has screwed me a number of times. i guess if i was driving newer vehicles, the old wires and sensors would not be an issue. but when that stuff is 20+years old...

Agreed. I had nothing but problems with my former 86 IROC that my mom wrecked. The 88 IROC that i have now has very little problems but still doesnt run as reliably as my suby...which is just a weber carb. Im a carb man unfortunatly just cause they are simplier and there is less to go wrong but im sure if i drove a new fuel injected car i would change my mind.

I always likes VW's mechanical fuel injection.

Ok so go that way, or Volvo, the mechanical system on a early Volvo is probably easily adapted.

Myself, I would be tempted to go side draft on a home made manifold, just transplanting a pair of side draft carbs "as is" (linkage, spacing, and all) and make a manifold.

Or a pair of motorcycle carbs and extended cables to two 90 degree bends (or spigots).

The thing of it is that multiple carb set-ups are a *************** to "balance", but once balanced they should work out fine.

None of this stuff is written in stone, you get some stuff you are familiar with, and make it fit.

The "cable cobtrolled" SU's on the 280z were both run by linkage. The throttle cable dropped into a quadrant in between the two carbs, and rods extended out to the two carbs from there.

Tri-power setups on big v8s were similar, the cable or rod from the gas pedal would actuate the center carb, then when it got between 1/3 and 1/2 way open, the linkage for the other two would tighten up and they would start to open.