Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Super quick confirmation on part (Water Temp Sensor)

EA82 info that i think is applicable: if it is the water temperature sensor, you probably don't need a new one. usually you can pull the plug and clean the contacts of the sensor and the wiring harness. a new one typically only helps for a little bit because the corrosion just comes back soon. that's why the wiring harness connector and contacts need to be cleaned too. i did a permanent fix to my XT6 by stripping all the wiring down and solder the wires directly to the sensor contacts since the connector was brittle and about shot. in the process of doing it the green corrosion was well up and underneath the wiring insulation a few inches.

i pulled the connector and cleaned the connections the best i could a few days and it didn't seem to change anything (i actually threw and pulled the #33 code last night) but i will mess with it again and double check the wire itself, etc.

here's a picture of the part:

ts26821-1.jpg

If the ea81t and the ea82t setup is the same, then I was messing with the wrong part, even though the size/connector/shape all look exactly the same as the pic I posted of the sensor from partsamerica. :unamused:

I'll take off the intake plenum and dig around down there, mess with that connection and stuff today, I'm sure you are right because the sensor would be mounted on that weird coolant intake on top of the block.

i went to the parts store once. looked up a temp sensor for an 89 gl-10 turbo touring wagon. not in stock. ok then, how about an 87 rx? not listed. ok then, how about a nissan 240 sx? here you go. i walked out with the part i needed and it worked.

so look up a nissan if you must

All my Books indicate the EA81T and EA82T sensors to be the same. even if they are different part #s, they are the same size, use the same connector, and output in the same range. It is located under the thermovaccum valve, on the lower portion of the themostat housing area of the intake.

All my Books indicate the EA81T and EA82T sensors to be the same. even if they are different part #s, they are the same size, use the same connector, and output in the same range. It is located under the thermovaccum valve, on the lower portion of the themostat housing area of the intake.

what i found just now is on the lower left side of the below the thermostat housing, it has ONE wire and the connector looks like the one in this picture:

ts26821-1.jpg

which makes me believe this is the part I'm looking at.

rather than the right side as the pic HTI posted, it's on the left, underneath the radiator hose aiming at an angle towards the passenger side headlights. i was digging through my HTKYSA but it's not the most in depth manual.

Again, that is the sensor for the gauge. The one for the ECU definately has 2 poles, and looks identical to the pic posted by [HTI]johnson.

ok cool, that's the assurance i needed, thanks. it must be pretty buried, because i didn't see much under the intake plenum, the closest thing i saw was this on top of the block. : confused :

pic1.jpg

what i found just now is on the lower left side of the below the thermostat housing, it has ONE wire and the connector looks like the one in this picture:

ts26821-1.jpg

which makes me believe this is the part I'm looking at.

rather than the right side as the pic HTI posted, it's on the left, underneath the radiator hose aiming at an angle towards the passenger side headlights. i was digging through my HTKYSA but it's not the most in depth manual.

Correct location(by the disty),wrong sensor.

You need a 2 pole one.

Some Toyotas have the right one too.

ok cool, that's the assurance i needed, thanks. it must be pretty buried, because i didn't see much under the intake plenum, the closest thing i saw was this on top of the block. : confused :

pic1.jpg

No that is the fast idle solenoid, adjusts idle speed when A/C kicks on and such.

oops, I think that is actually the Knock sensor. Looks alot like the Fast idle solenoid on EA82 from that angle

alright, i finally located it! :lol:

it's not that hard to get to and came out easy. it takes a deep 19mm socket with no extension to get it out btw. i was originally looking for just 2 wires, rather than a 2 pole connector, that's why i was having such a hard time before.

anyway, the connector is pretty busted up and wiggles quite a bit to even the slightest pressure. when i pulled the connector off, there was also some oil residue in and around the plug so i'm sure that wasn't helping with the connection either. i cleaned the contacts the best i could until i can figure something out to make the connection better.

anyone have one of those plus hanging out i can pay you to send me? :grin:

• 5 years later...