Ultimate Subaru Message Board

radiator? overheating possible? goes down when heat on

EA81, dual range, ac disconnected, 4 inch lift, 205/75/15 offroad tires on pug rims.

New parts= radiator cap, thermostat, a host of other stuff.

symptoms= almost to the red area when climbing on the interstate, goes down if you turn the heat on..

the car does not use any coolant, shoots no steam and the oil pressure is awesome.

The fan works, and I wired up the ac fan to come on with the other fan, and hot air comes from it when idling.

I can put my hand on the right side of the radiator, below the cap, and it is hot as hell and I cannot touch it for any time. the top radiator hose is hot as well.. I don't have a heat problem at low speeds/rpm's or idling.

I am thinking that the radiator is not performing optimally. when under load (third gear going up hill on interstate at 4k rpm's), it cannot get it cool enough quick enough, even with both fans..

seeing that the solid area below the cap is extremly hot under idle, I am certain that everything is circulating good, and when the heat is on, the temp does go down, it cannot be the water pump (which is fairly new), or something else, head problems, as I have plenty of power, use no coolant, and no steam whatsoever.

I want to do something.. is it better to take the radiator out and get it serviced, or get a new one? I can also get a decent looking one from a junkyard, but I won't be in that area for a couple of weeks, so options are limited, as I don't want it down too long.

let me know what you think

Thanks!!!

/mike

Probably time for a new radiator. The cost to fix them is more than they are worth. Get a new one.

GD

anything special? autozone $138 advance same price, both are oem quality, or spring for a better performing/upgraded one?

THANKS!

Radiators.com I have used before. All EA81 radiators are two-core, so nothing really "special" here. An ordinary OEM spec replacement should do just fine. If you look around you should be able to get one for $120 or less.

GD

JC whitney is only 111.00 good price, free shipping right now.. but it is nice to get from advance or autozone, and free shipping to store with only one day transit from their warehouse to a store.. and, easy warranty issues with either one of them.. I think that is prolly worth the 20 bux extra..

thanks for the advice!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Advance found one "Ready Radiator" all copper, direct OEM replacement, for 84 bux!!!! and it came in on new years eve, and I ordered it sunday night at 6 o'clock..

happy to report it installed perfectly, no problems, and my car is very happy and never even gets close to the 1/2 mark on the temp guage...

thanks again!!!!!

/mike

JC whitney is only 111.00 good price, free shipping right now.. but it is nice to get from advance or autozone, and free shipping to store with only one day transit from their warehouse to a store.. and, easy warranty issues with either one of them.. I think that is prolly worth the 20 bux extra..

thanks for the advice!!!!