Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emily,

First off, thanks for your response to my post about the EJ22t. I had another couple questions. The 190hp I'm assuming was for the turbo charged 2.2. Is that the motor that's in your Touring Wagon? And if so what years were they made? Thanks again,

I am not Emily, but I can answer your power question:

190 HP was rumoured to be the output of the new Forester Turbo, which turned out to be 210hp (but is actually in the 235-240 hp range).

Some of the EJ20 turbo engines were 190hp.

Here are the specs on the EJ22T from http://www.cars101.com

2.2L turbo charged 4 cylinder Boxer engine

HP 160@5600rpm, torque 181@2800rpm

multi-port fule injection, 15.( US gal tank, Premium fuel 91 Octane)

Even with this relitively low power, the EJ22T can propel the Legacy to 30MPH faster than almost any other car out there, from 30MPH onward it looses some steam but is still much better than the non-turbo EJ22.

With all due respect to the work that has been put into the cars101.com website, the info I have on the EJ22 turbo engine is 190hp at 5600 rpm which I got from the Subaru factory technical manuals.

I also notice that the Touring Wagon is not included in 1992, but that's what year mine is (pardon the dangling participle) .

I know that they are the same engine, and that they were available '92, '93 and '94. (Not sure about '91)

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I have seen 190HP but not for the EJ22T, 190Hp was the rating of the EJ20 engine that overseas turbo Legacy's had at the time though. Perhaps this is where the 190HP comes from, every publication, Subaru or otherwise that I have seen lists 160HP@5600RPM.

But Subaru does list the Forester XT at 210 HP and it is definitely quite a bit more than that, and they list the Impreza 22B at a low legal JDM limit of 280HP, so you never know?

But I did help a friend perform a bench dyno on a 1993 Legacy Touring Edition LE EJ22T engine with no exhaust system after the catalytic convertor and we only came up with 178HP@6,000RPM at the flywheel. So I think the 160 HP number is more reasonable than 190.

We took parts from a wrecked JDM WRX and a slightly damaged 93 Legacy Touring Edition LE and merged the two to create the ultimate sleeper car.

After installation of the WRX 5 speed transmission and differential, high flow fuel injectors and pump, WRX intercooler, larger turbo, WRX mid exhaust, WRX ECU, boost controller, fuel controller and a long list of other parts the car was putting out 256HP at the wheels on a four wheel dyno. If the owner had not wrecked that car back in 2000, I sure the current WRX would eat its dust. It was too fast for the original G-Tech accelerometer to measure 0-60 time, which means it was likely under 5 seconds, all we got was "error".

The only thing we did to the brakes of this car was install Mintex pads, the stock turbo brakes (especially with their vented rear rotors) were more than adequate.

Wellllll.....I suppose I might have bad information. I mean, Subaru put the wrong EJ22 crank pulley bolt torque specs in the their first factory manuals, didn't they? :moon:

I mean, I couldn't be wrong?!?!?!?!?!! :eek:

I will go back to the factory manual from whence I got the info originally, and doublecheck it.

But I'll tell ya one thing: my turbo at the alledged 160hp will leave any Outback with the same hp eating dust! :headbang:

Emily

Originally posted by ccrinc

But I'll tell ya one thing: my turbo at the alledged 160hp will leave any Outback with the same hp eating dust! :headbang:

Emily

Well the old Turbo Legacy is some 230lbs lighter than the Outback (3261lbs vs 3490lbs?) and it does produce a bit more torque a lot lower in the rev range which really aids acceleration. The Turbo Legacy's 181 lb/ft at 2800rpm, with 80% of peak torqe at a low 1800rpm is a LOT better than the EJ25's 166 lb/ft at 4,000rpm with 80% at somewhat high 2500rpm.

But the stock Turbo Legacy wagon only does 0-60 in 8.2 seconds according to both Car and Driver and my readings with the G-Tech Accelerometer. The Outback is 0-60 in 9.5-10 seconds with 5MT and 10.5 seconds with 4EAT and with the H6-3.0 0-60 is 8.5 seconds.

The Legacy Turbo just seems a lot faster than it actually is.

Up to 30mph the Turbo Legacy is very fast, actually faster than a the early 90's Porsche 911 and Ferrari Testarosa, but from 30mph onward it is easily overtaken. With the quick 0-30 time you gain a large lead which the Outback simply can not take back.

The following page has a lot of Turbo Legacy information including updates such as intercoolers and swapping to a 5MT transmission. I wish this information existed 6-7 years ago when I first started playing with the Turbo Legacy's.

http://www.legacycentral.org/index.shtml

Emily, much thanks for the posts you have made, it is great to have some unassociated Subaru experts on this board to provide unbiased information! Especially since you provide the truth on head gasket and timing belt tensioner problems, that dealers seem to dismiss by order of Subaru of America and Subaru Canada.